What kind of pumps do you use?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

vzap
C Boater

Post by vzap »

Shoot me your e-mail and I'lldrop some photos of the Rule 1200 pump, 5 amp werker sealed lead acid battery and water proof switch from West marine that I've installed in my Ocoee. Battery, switch and wires are all contained within pedistal seat. Also, consider installing pump in front of seat. never done it but it does make sense.

Vince
________
Buy Vaporizers
Last edited by vzap on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimmieOC1
C Guru

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Scott

You have room for an electric pump in your Fly? I don't remember seeing that. I'll have to check it out next time we paddle together.

Currently I'm working on perfecting the catch a rock in the middle of the river, roll up on it and dump on the fly (he, he) move. It's still very iffy, but I can't manage to fit a bail bucket or hand pump in my Fly so that I can actually get to them when I need them. A pump sure would be nice.

By the way Scott I ran into a friend of your's, Heath, on the Noli. Next time you need to come along with him. It was a great day.

Kimberly
Georgia Stu
C Boater

Post by Georgia Stu »

I use a single Attwood 1250 pump, with a setup similar to that described by Colin in the PDF above. It's mounted behind the seat of my Viper 12, where most of the water collects in my setup.
Because I like to have the pump come on automatically if I hit a big hole or wave (or if I'm in a squirrely eddy where I don't want to let go of the paddle), I also installed a float switch on the floor, and a 3-way switch to control it (settings of 'off' - 'on' - or 'auto'), mounted on the front of the seat where it's easy to reach. If set to 'auto', the pump turns on as soon as the float switch senses more than a couple of inches of water in the boat. Very handy, IMO.

The other difference is that I did not use a waterproof box and did not waterproof any connection (used a lead acid battery, I think?), and have never had any problem (had it this way for a couple of years). I keep the battery strapped into a minicell cutout in the back of the seat.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

After a long swim, I sometimes use a stomach pump. :o
ckingoc1
C Guru

Post by ckingoc1 »

I have one in a fly, the pump is in front of the saddle.
mechnginear
c

Post by mechnginear »

I have an 800 GPH Attwood in my Howler. It fits in a cutout at the back of the pedestal. I have a small drybox strapped to the front of the pedestal that holds the switch and the rechargable NiMH batteries. I thread the flex hose through the bag cage cords and the whole rig is removable in a couple of minutes. I am considering changing the pump to a 1200 GPH or adding a 2nd 800 GPH because the open volume in the Howler is so large.
It's a Howler!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Currently I'm working on perfecting the catch a rock in the middle of the river, roll up on it and dump on the fly (he, he) move.
This idea I like!
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon
C Guru

Pump Options

Post by Jon »

I have both. If I think I'll need to get water out of the boat in places where I need to keep my hands on the paddle I use my electric system (Atwood 1200 & two 7.2v RC car batteries in a pelican case), BUT the system adds significant weight to my solo boat. I can notice it. Otherwise I stuff a hand powered bilge pump under the back air bag and I can keep the boat dry without constantly getting in and out to dump - pump the boat dry while I drift back up in the eddy for another turn. I have a length of cord tied to the pump and a short 'fuse' of 10 lb test black fishing line so the pump will stay with my boat, but if it gets caught on something, the line will snap and my boat will float free and not the trapped on the end of the pump rope.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Paddle Power wrote:
Currently I'm working on perfecting the catch a rock in the middle of the river, roll up on it and dump on the fly (he, he) move.
This idea I like!
That only works for me when I find the Goldilocks rock - not too low, not too high, but juuuuuuust right.