Obama had the cover, but Jamie got the centerfold...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

icyone
C Guru

Obama had the cover, but Jamie got the centerfold...

Post by icyone »

For those of you who don't read the Sunday paper when the water's up, check this week's Parade mag before you toss it .. just flip to the center for Jamie's article.

http://www.parade.com/health/2009/06/ta ... -life.html
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Jamie's a great writer, but the dam editor called him "an Olympic Kayaker". That's practically grounds for a lawsuit.
Bob P
Louie

Post by Louie »

What ever you do don't point out to AMERICAN KAYAKER (AW) that they call a Canoe a Kayak. The editor nor the "Leader" of that Kayak club take kindly to any C boater of any kind bein reconized for doin any thing that takes wawy from their buttboats.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

He doesn't come to a strong conclusion, but I wouldn't expect that in Parade.

He puts multistory waterfalls in a different category, but I don't see them as different than boating the Tsangpo.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

cadster wrote:He doesn't come to a strong conclusion, but I wouldn't expect that in Parade.

He puts multistory waterfalls in a different category, but I don't see them as different than boating the Tsangpo.
I can see a distinction - with the waterfall, you line up and then your dice are rolled. With the Tsangpo, it's an expedition, an exploration, making judgements and decisions, but you are still rolling dice. Repeatedly. Yeah, same category ultimately for me.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Fall Creek is a small-volume, steep creek with a couple of small "falls". The danger isn't drowning so much as pinning and getting banged up. With other boats around, the risk isn't that high. The nearest house is a 10 minute walk or less. The Tsang Po is a little different. One minor mistake can be very difficult to compensate for.

YouTube Video
Last edited by Bob P on Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob P
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

You bet remote places are making decisions crucials and recues difficult. A couple of years ago, Quebec park authorities wanted to definitely close the access to the Jaques-Cartier river's Taureau section to paddlers. Too many fatalties, too many complicated and costly helicopter rescues, etc. Especially for a river that not so many people paddles!

Hopefully the whole paddling comunity got together and concinved them not to do so.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o