Taking kids to the Hiwassee-what else around non-boating?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bellotti
c

Taking kids to the Hiwassee-what else around non-boating?

Post by bellotti »

Taking our raft and kids (2,3,5) to the Hiwassee next week. Camping at either HO or Gee Creek. Any suggestions on other things to do in the area to keep kids entertained? Any short waterfall hikes or ???
How about eateries in the area?
karstmaninaboat
Pain Boater

Post by karstmaninaboat »

Eateries would be few and far between. The HO has signs up for a grill or something, but I have not been this year so I don't know what they are offering. The closest full service restaurant is the Black Bear Cove at hwy30 and 411, they are a little pricey. The Hiwassee Fly and Tackle on the corner of childers creek and perrys branch has sandwiches. If you don't mind a drive, there is a really good mexican place in Etowah, which is about a half hour down the road. Also in Etowah is a good family plate style place called the Farmhouse, but their hours are limited, I am pretty sure they close around 3or 4 in the afternoon. There is also a place called Memories which is pretty good american fair.

As far as other things to do. There is a nice rigorous, short hike up to the bluffs from Spring Creek rd near the hiwassee state park. The john murr runs along the hiwassee and is a nice easy hike. There is a moderate trail at quinn springs which is pretty good length. There are too many trails in the area to list them all.

As far as activities, there is not much other than outdoor stuff in the area.
Kentuckycanoecycler
c

Post by Kentuckycanoecycler »

I will second the Farmhouse! We eat dinner there one night and usually Sunday lunch on the way out of town every weekend we come to the Hiwassee. I think they close at 8p on the weekends. You turn left at Scottys just as you are coming into Etowah and it is a block up on the left. There is also usually some kid friendly stuff going on at Gee Creek (short hikes etc) and that in addition to the playground and bike riding usually means passed out kids at bedtime! Another thing my kids really like is going up to Towee Creek and playing in the water. Is nice and shallow and a great rock throwing place.