YouTube roll demo #2 - ExpertVillage 3 mins

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

YouTube roll demo #2 - ExpertVillage 3 mins

Post by yarnellboat »

I can't belive we haven't seen this for discussion before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_eAbYp4lDw&feature=fvw

Comments? Critiques? Questions?

Pat.
Berkshire Jack
Pain Boater

Post by Berkshire Jack »

This video was posted about 1 1/2 yrs ago on this forum. I remember first seeing it here. I think Bruce Lessels does a fairly good job of explaining the basic motions. Doesn't explain the nuisances. His form looks great and is real smooth. Would like to see his paddle action more, but the reflexions off the water prevent that.

Jack
C1-er
edg
C Guru

rolls

Post by edg »

As long as we're throwing out rolls, Mike Baker (2009 C-2 wildwater National Champ - stern left) shows off some impressive skills. Cross bow and switch rolls (so left and right partners can roll together), plus hand rolls to both sides. Makes me realize I need to practice more...edg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yQ88Rd3Jc8
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

This seems to be a popular set-up/roll for C-1 and OC-1. My question is if your tipping to your on side is this set-up gonna be difficult?
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

If you pracice rolling enough, your brace will get so good that you won't tip to your on-side!

Rolling up from your on-side is just a big low-brace, and you'll find the set up easy enough once you're used to rolling.

Many people learn to roll by flipping to their on-side and coming back up (probably lots of that available on video clips). That's not a bad way to get started. Then they have to learn to find their way under the boat after flipping to their off-side, which can be the difficult/confusing part.

My "landmark" position to prepare to roll is out at 90-degress to the boat, not under on my deck. I just never learned a set-up position on my deck. Probably because I learned the roll starting with flipping to my on-side.

Pat.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

To me it is not a roll if you go over to your onside - it's just a deeeeep brace! :lol:
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

paddle flip

Post by ohioboater »

What's the benefit of setting up/sweeping out with the power face down and then flipping it so the back face is down (normal low brace position)? I've always just set up with the back face down to start with (like Kent Ford shows).
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I don't think there's necessarily an advantage one way or the other (actually, having the blade in the low-brace-ready position probably does make for faster rolls), it's just whatever is easier for a paddler to get their mind around and/or what feels most comfortable.

More often than not it probably depends on how whoever's teaching do is doing it, and that's what you learn.

I learned by doing my underwater sweep-under in the "high brace" position (so I needed to flip the blade to iniate the roll part), beacuse my arms were used to that position - it was just like doing an offside stroke.

To learn to put my paddle in the low brace positio to sweep out, I had to go to my set-up at 90-degrees and work backwards a few times to get a feel for it. For me, the hand positioning was a less intuitive, or a little contorted.

Bottom line: both work.

Pat.
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Re: paddle flip

Post by jscottl67 »

ohioboater wrote:What's the benefit of setting up/sweeping out with the power face down and then flipping it so the back face is down (normal low brace position)? I've always just set up with the back face down to start with (like Kent Ford shows).
In practicing rolling, sometimes the canoe gets kind of "stuck" a little to the offside(my experience). That's when I do a sweeping type move to get started, but maybe I'm just weird. When I am really applying any pressure for the roll, it's low brace mode.
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Talking aobut the setup, I used a mix of kent ford's and bob foote's. I am constant in a low brace position, but I set up next to the boat and not on the airbag. So start position is like bob foote explains and not like kent ford explains.

But then again, I still haven't really mastered my roll. Taking a workshop this weekend....