Forum tone of late.. please read...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Forum tone of late.. please read...

Post by Sir Adam »

Rather than single anyone out, as it isn't any one boater, but a culture that seems to he happening here of late, I thought I'd post in a new thread.

Though most of us LIKE poking fun at kayakers, please realize that it is meant solely in jest between friends. One of my best paddling friends and i go back and forth all the time (he is a phenemenal kayaker... and yes, he's hopped in my C1 and run the Hudson gorge with enough prodding), but at the end of the day we agree on one thing - it doesn't matter what you paddle. It matters that you are out there.

CBoats.net is meant to be a positive place focusing on those that are interested in paddling C1, OC1, C2, OC2, etc... type craft, be they world champions or just folks who at interested and yet to hop in to a boat. I have always believed we can share this enthusiasm without degrading those who chose a different type of craft. What is really important to us all, long term, is having the general public at least understand why we're on the river, and why we deserve access. That is the type of forum this is meant to be - positive and supporting.

Please keep this in mind when you are posting. And yes, good natured ribbing is just fine - if you search you'll find I do it too. Just be sure it is meant that way, and comes across to folks who do not know you, and the other party, in a friendly manner. We are truly an international community here, and i am personally honored that many of the folks who read this forum, and participate here, are doing so in a format (english) that is not their first language.
Keep the C!
Adam
pmp
CBoats Addict

We're all paddlers

Post by pmp »

well said, Adam. As an open boater I spend far more time playing the waves with kayaking buddies than canoeists. This seems to fulfill two goals 1. I see the latest moves, and if lucky pick up a few freestyle tips. 2. I get all kinds of ideas for Bubble street cartoons, kayakers are inspirational that way:-)
As Red Green would say 'we're all in this together"
ps. looking forward to boating with the armada of open boats at gat. fest.
paul
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Adam

Post by jim gross »

Adam,

I think it is all good natured fun. Just some of us have a more antagonist perspective of what fun is. I personaly am glad that I am not the worst offender here. Mine can be more, how shall I say, "gutteral".

Considering the old addage, "Put mind in gear before mouth in motion" leaves much to be desired, specialy in online chat and email. Social graces that might be in place in other forums, at times, seem to be lacking online.

Just my $.02

Jim Gross
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I agree with both of you, and I hope everyone will agree that in general CBoats is a more topic-oriented forum than some other paddling forums, where although a great (albeit "cliquey") community is built, new folks may get frightened away by the general demeanor.

I think if everyone puts their mind in gear first, before they start typing (to paraphrase Jim) we'll be just fine.

We have allowed things to loosen up here a bit, as we know everyone has a different style (regardless of where you are from), but we do feel a reminder is needed to keep things positive.

Thank you both for your comments.
Keep the C!
Adam
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I hope I haven't offended everyone... Apparently sarcasm may be hard to detect in an electronic medium. C-boats has and continues to be a great source of paddling information for both canoeists and single bladed kayakers, especially those of us who are geographically isolated from the SE or Quebec. :wink: Thanks for the great web site Admins!
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Adam, thanks for all you and the other admins do. And thanks for keeping things a little looser, as you alluded to. There have been long stretches during the last few years when I barely read the forum because all that's being discussed is boat repair, and that has been anything but the case lately!

Alden
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Way off topic, but,

Sir Adam, I would like to thank you very much for helping me get my e-mail mix up, straightened out. I am more of a lurker, but this site has been great when I've had , mostly destination, questions, somebody has always been able to answer them for me.

carol
icyone
C Guru

Part of the problem.

Post by icyone »

As Oopsiflipped says, "sarcasm" (or better yet, "tone of voice") doesn't come across well in posts

Maybe the solution is that we need a special "smiley" for "dry/humor/mild sarcasm" !

And OT, thanks Adam for the time it takes to provide this forum. Not to mention your wife, who forever elicits instant response in my memory as the nice lady who came up behind me and grabbed the stern of my boat to help me up that hill. I'll never forget that instant sensation... :-)