Paddling beta on MI's upper peninsula

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Paddling beta on MI's upper peninsula

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Would appreciate any information on whitewater in Michigan's upper peninsula and surrounding areas. What's available, seasons, length of, coast surfing the big lake, local microbrewerys. You know... the important stuff.

Thanks, Slov
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

there is a nice guidebook called northwoods whitewater or something like that. sounds like it is hard to catch the season there, though
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

The South Shore has some great stuff, if you can get to the rivers in time. I am a college student living in Ashland WI, which is about an hour from the UP. We have a few local creeks that are class II-IV and a good microbrew called south shore brewery in Ashland. The surf on the Lake can be really fun. I have surfed my space cadet c-1 three times this fall, all in which we had very big waves (one big enough to throw a blunt). My girlfriend and I even had a caption out in the waves and managed to get into a crazy back-surf

The UP has some really great as well. Not to sure if there is any good Microbrews over there tho. I would get the Northwoods whitewater book its great. Whats bringing you up North? Let me know if you wanna go paddling when you get here I am always looking to ditch my kayaker friends to paddle with a single blade boater.
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

The Presque Ilse is the classic whitewater run. Silver Creek near L'Anse attracts the most interest from creekers. The Menominee has a short year around run, otherwise late March and April are when you have the best reliable water.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

The Rada book mentioned is excellent.

Google for it,
for example
http://artfulnomad.com/newsletter/artic ... ok-arrives
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hank
c

Post by Hank »

Northwoods Whitewater by Jim Rada

Canoeing Michigan Rivers by Jerry Davis and Craig Date

Find microbrews in Calumet at The Michigan House
They have RED JACKET, although I think it is brewed elsewhere under contract.
In Marquette find the Vierling Restaurant and brews from Marquette Harbor Brewery
But keep in mind that good beer is sometimes hard to find in the UP. Don't venture too far afield without adequate supplies. Sometimes that GPS (Guinness positioning system) can't pick up a signal at all