Stankin Booties

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Stankin Booties

Post by horizongfx »

Whew.... Does anyone have a way to get the stank out of neoprene booties, tried throwin em in the washer, No dice. Still stink, would a vineger bath work??

Please advise...Can't take it much longer ..
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
D-Caption
C Guru

stankin booties

Post by D-Caption »

try using Myrazyme, kills the bacteria from river water, sold at most paddlin stores. It works if you follow the instructions. 2 ounces makes about 20 gals. Good luck Hope my spelling is right. D-Caption
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Sink the Stink from a dive shop? Heard it works. I keep mine under the hood of the truck - keeps them dry so they don't stink + keeps them toasty.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I haven't tried it yet but a person at our local REI says Simple Green will work. About 10 bucks a gallon of concentrate at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Jim P
C Guru

Vinegar

Post by Jim P »

Pour a cup of white vinegar into a gallon of water (I never measure this is a guess). Soak stinky gear for an hour and dry. No need to rinse.. Change in PH kills the nasties.
CaroleW.
C Guru

Stinky booties

Post by CaroleW. »

Not reputed to be great for neoprene, but our booties have survived this treatment very well!

One drop laundry soap in the bootie, fill with hot water to half, drop in a tbsp or so bleach, fill bootie to full and keep in sink (hopefully your basement sink) for a few hours. Rinse with hot water and dry outside in the sun, or on top of the clothes dryer.

Good luck!
Carole
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Mirazyme is much better than sink the stink
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

fill bootie w/hot water, add a scoop of oxyclean (i hate those ads), and let it soak. this removes any trace of funk.
Joe
terrierpike
c

Post by terrierpike »

+1 on the oxyclean .... most annoying commercials, but it actually works .... or you could just make it at home with dish detergent, baking soda, and water
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Ben Franklin
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

More details please:
OxyClean has powder & spray. Which do you guys use, and do you have any specific instructions?

I'm going to try an Arm & Hammer "oxy" spray that's marketed for pet-related smell & stain removal.

Pat.
terrierpike
c

Post by terrierpike »

1 part baking soda, 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 1 spoonful dishwashing detergent... and you have oxyclean... just put the booties in and let them soak for a few minutes then rinse with hot water
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Ben Franklin
ZethZ
c

Da Funk

Post by ZethZ »

Mixture of water and vinegar is the cheapest and just as effective.I keep a clean 5 Gallon spackle bucket to let my booties or wet suit soak over night in the solution....let drip dry,do not rinse and your good to go.....gives you that fresh,just douched smell the next time your out paddling,as an added bonus, next time your ear develops the funky swimmers ear,use some of the left over vinegar with alcohol and flush out the infected ear.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

yarnel-fill bootie w/hot h2o (stand the bootie up) and put a scoop of oxy in. let it soak. next day stank is history. i guess billy mays was good for more than just waking me up at 3am, the dirty bastard
Joe
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

a little vinegar and or arm and hammer soak. what ever. aways rinse and dry all the way (ac vent, heater vent. fridge in the kitchen blowing air vent. SUN and freash air) most of all, get them dry asap my deep sea booties are at least 20 years old, but darn, the zipper broke last month always wear socks,
and billy mays was a great american
paddlr
red boat ready
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Mirazyme is expensive. Go to the pet store and get a jug of that Enzyme based cat/dog pee remover. It's cheap and seems to de-funkify my booties just fine, though I *have* developed an urge to lick myself.

Phreon