WTF is GDI?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

WTF is GDI?

Post by CosmikDebris »

dare i ask?
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

God-Damned Independents? I think Louie chose the title for himself and others who got away from CHOTA and its organizational excesses.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i believe there's a story behind this one, something about running something blind?
Joe
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

ezwater wrote:God-Damned Independents?
if they paddle on Sunday... do they call it "church" then? :lol:
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

gotta love river church
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

guess that'd make'em - HolyRollers
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

philcanoe wrote:guess that'd make'em - HolyRollers
no... Hully Rollers :lol:
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Open Door Fellowship.... where everyone's hand is extended, when the collection is passed round.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Most of you are members.

Post by iRolled »

Most of you are members. If you paddle with the GDI, you are GDI. Yup, you're screwed and didn't know it.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I think the I stands for Idiot, the rest is easy to figure out. I heard the words were uttered by an overly cautious group scouting a drop as Louie and crew go right on by and over the drop. I guess I'm a GDI member in March, at least for the past few years anyway.....
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Gorgeous Deligates of Independence?
Proud Yankee
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Personally I belong to the Holy Church of Free Time on Weekends! " Gona Go to Paddle Meetings" are often held over Easter with our friends from Canada as part of the WV "Pagan and Sinners" tour.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

As I recall Christ hung out with sinners and one of the sacraments involves a river - I usually get baptized once or twice a trip!
Last edited by sbroam on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

Gettin Dunked & Immersed...
SYOTR
Cumnock
Proprietor - Walden's Ridge Whitewater

Post by Cumnock »

Here is how I heard it some of it’s urban legend , some I was personally there.

It first started with Bailey at the Alabama Races, trying to sigh up to race. The registration lady was insistent that he had to be a club member to race, as a somewhat heated discussion occurred of Bailey stating that” He was isn’t in a ____club” ,”He never would be in a club”…she looked him dead in the eye…and asked “So what club are you in then??”. He made the statement that “He was GDI!” And hastily wrote those initials in the form.

Then later we would always get a phone call from Chota asking where we were going to boat…they never would show up. Later when confronted why the were always “No Show Jones”…the Chota board member stated “We just wanna know where you are going so we won’t be there.

then one day at the sinks ...we all bombed it, with Chota setting up ropes and most walking , one commented on us being idiots...

later that same day Bailey has Louie's camera filming the drop...a Chota member in a Open Boat literally jumps out of his canoe and lets his canoe run the drop on the sinks...due to be over his head....Bailey looks into the camera and stated "In true Chota fashion"...Louie later passes the film to as many Chota members as he can....remember back then Bailey was making paddles and Chota club members were his best customers...it created a lot of drama for Bailey...Bailey would smooth it over...Louie would come right back and stir their pot.

The final initials where born when Louie started making videos, (which in turn started “Bootleg Louie”, which became “Falling off Waldens Ridge”) he would list them at the Bluegrass Film Festival under the club categories .During one of the GDI films being shown , we were running cutting edge stuff in the video(for the time period) a Chota board members pipes up “God ____Idiots” and the legend and club name was forever cemented.

Proud GDI member since 1989 salute!