Monkey See...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TommyC1
C Guru

Monkey See...

Post by TommyC1 »

On the Farmington River in Otis, Mass they have a slalom race in October. At the top of the race course there is a sweet surfing wave with a nice river left eddy service. I'm no racer but I do love to surf. The problem is it's fairly easy to get ejected from the wave on river right. The next eddy there is well below the wave so for me that was always the end of that.
Early on the last race day I was watching folks do some practice runs and one of them misses a gate right there.
Too bad.
Nope, he comes out of the right side eddy and surfs a tiny wave back up to the left side eddy (how come I never saw that before?) and takes another whack at it. Cool!
Went back there yesterday and we had the river to ourselves. Got on the wave a few times and sure enough got spit out the right side.
Nothing to lose, I tried the move and I was back! Had a fine old time surfing and impressing my friends with that cool move a few more times.
Amazing how often I learn things like that. " If he can do it..."
So if you're on this board racer X , thanks for the lesson.

Tommy
abird

boatin

Post by abird »

tommy,
it's a little known fact, but you can actually attain from new boston to the slalom course. it takes a while, and you have to concentrate, even as other paddlers are giving you funny looks.

you just need a glass boat is all . . . 8)

hahaha
Alden
TommyC1
C Guru

you just need a glass boat...

Post by TommyC1 »

Yeah,
A glass Mad River Freedom. a twelve foot aluminum pole, and Harry Rock driving.

Tommy
Jim
C Guru

Good story

Post by Jim »

Alden:

I got a good laugh out of that post. You are so full of crap- I know you can’t make the attainments at Corkscrew and at Decoration- I have seen you sneaking through the woods!

FYI- I cannot paddle this weekend- I will be in West Virginia.

Now that is a sentence I NEVER thought would come from me. However, I will be busy interviewing (for 16 hours!!!) at WVU and I will have my family with me.

Have fun,

Jim
Evelyn
c

Re: Monkey See...

Post by Evelyn »

Early on the last race day I was watching folks do some practice runs and one of them misses a gate right there.
Too bad.
Nope, he comes out of the right side eddy and surfs a tiny wave back up to the left side eddy (how come I never saw that before?) and takes another whack at it. Cool!

Long slalom boats do help with attainments, but one of the best parts of slalom racing is learning how to use every inch of the river and make the best of every stroke. Slalom also makes you stubborn. For pride's sake, you want to never miss a gate even if you waste some time attaining back for it!

The slalom course in Otis (one I've paddled for 7 consecutive years now...) is on easy Class II whitewater, but how the gates are set and how one uses the water can make even the easiest whitewater challenging and rewarding.

A fellow racer (who was at the Otis race, actually) broke his leg this fall. He was on crutches and couldn't carry his boat or get in and out of it without help. Did his coach let him stop paddling? Of course not! My friend asked for a waterproof cast and then had to attain slalom courses all fall. I wasn't there, but I heard his attainment of the slalom course in Manchester, NH was most impressive.

I once went to the 10-mile River clinic run by Keech and Ann LeClair to teach the basics of slalom to newcomers. I went to work on C-1 but also brought along a kayak for fun. Rising to a challenge from another kayaker, one of my kayak runs I went through all the gates backwards. On the second run, I went through the last gate first and then attained the rest of the course in order. A great workout, if nothing else!

Best,

Evelyn

P.S. Come race next year! It's great fun.