Much Lighter Plastic Boats Coming Soon?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mike040
c

Post by Mike040 »

Richard, People will speculate, like it or not. It happens in every industry, it's just human nature.

I would like to know when the PE maxim is available though as if i order a "normal" one, and the pe one comes out, I will be mightily pissed.
2opnboat
c

PE Maxim

Post by 2opnboat »

That is why we are not saleing Royalex Maxims Have a few for special people. Not trying to be an butt here but when people assume Well ya know. So bear with us here, not much fear of us saleing a bunch of Maxims then releaseing the PE Boat, by the way it will be called the Maxim Plus.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

...and not the Maximus.
Mike040
c

Post by Mike040 »

philcanoe wrote:...and not the Maximus.
:lol:

Richard,

I think that if manufacturers gave clear time lines (ie under promise and over deliver) then people would be much cooler about it. This isnt aimed specifically at you but almost all manufacturers say "its coming...soon" without giving a timetable. If they know it will definitely be, say, March, why not say "coming in May" so there is time contingency? that way when its ready in march it can be immediately released to everyones delight, or if time does slip, they have two months of grace. A far better way of doing it in my view. I also think the "coming soon" thing is a way of damaging customer loyalty (not to mention sales), since some will wait and wait, then get bored and buy another product from someone else.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Agreed. I had cash save up to buy a L'Edge. Time passed. Saw a good deal on a Prelude and bought it instead. It'll be interesting to see what happens if L'Edge and Maxim Plus hit the market at the same time. I'm from the Southeastern US and my paddling partner is a member of Team Mohawk, so I'm likely to favor a Mohawk product. Hopefully they'll generate as much buzz about the Maxim Plus as Esquif has generated about the L'Edge. It would be cool to see Mohawk take back their regional turf.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

i've always heard....."Good things come to those who wait"

Just like all the old ads have preached. Would you rather have THE FINISHED product, or something rushed to market. You can not put a date and time on creativity, I've been involved in too many projects where the product was rushed. Because of business decisions based on some management forecast, in a rush to meet a seasonal window or competitors challenge.

Thank you.... Mohawk and Esquif... for your patience and attempts in getting it right. The flip-side (sic) would be the MicroSoft approach of old, where a rush to market was the source of irritation, ridicule, and mistrust. While trying to hold or gain market share via Boat D'Jour may exist in an ideal world, ours is one where a purchase is considered near investment. We've come to expect a canoe to stand the test of time, and not begin in near obsolesce, as the rather short term endless cycles of kayak conglomerates.
Mike040
c

Post by Mike040 »

Phil, I agree about not rushing things out before they're fully ready. I do think that manufacturers could handle the process better in PR terms though, as per my post above. If you think about a firm like, say, Apple, when the iphone was talked about, the market got in a massive tiz about it. They said what it was, teased a bit, but then put a firm release date on it fairly early. That release date was quite a way in the future, but at least customers then knew how long they had to wait. The hype carried on through that period, and when it was released, there was almost hysteria, with people lining up to buy them.

Problems with electronics aside, and perhaps it isnt a great example to use apple as a comparison for all kinds of reasons, but hopefully you get the idea of what i m trying to say. The capacity to disappoint is big, with any product which is "coming soon", no matter how wonderful the design may be.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Marketing and release plan

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Here ya go this is my time table. I will be releaseing the Maxim P in march for ALF and not a second before. Two reasons for this
1 it takes time I dont want to release a boat that is going to fall apart and I have not tested

2 I think with us being a deep south company it is only fair to release at the biggest ww fest in the south east.

I am sorry that this may throw a wrench in your plans or what ever But this is my time table and I plan on sticking to it
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Outstanding timing! Just before the paddling season really cranks up and you'll be presenting it to a perfect audience.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Not to mention the number of Canadians who will be here around that time. Do you want to do some on the water research next Sunday?
Mike040
c

Post by Mike040 »

I don't wish to derail but whats "ALF" and where is it?
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

2opnboat1 wrote:....at the biggest ww fest in the south east
Sorry Richard, not arguing - but it doesn't even come close to NAWFest....

Since its conception in 2005, with 200 attendees and competitors, to more than 1,300 in 2007 and almost 1,800 in 2008 this once small festival has sky-rocketed to become one of the best in the Southeast. (take from their site)

It's historically the same weekend as ALF, and a primary reason why so many south of the border open boaters, have not made the trek to Knoxville. There's many a big name boater who comes-on-down, as for them it a rather warm weather event - at a time little is going on elsewhere. (( ***shameless plug***)) It's just not a cboater'thing. It might be good to have a boat or two brought down, it's almost in Mohawk's backyard.
Last edited by philcanoe on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Phil not to take away from your Kayak event, but he ment WW Canoe gatherin, you do know somepeople don't really consider buttboater gatherin as ww events. Or do you have more Canoers than butt boater show up?
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Mike040 wrote:I don't wish to derail but whats "ALF" and where is it?
http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/f ... 7db1880984
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Louie wrote:Phil not to take away from your Kayak event, but he ment WW Canoe gatherin, you do know somepeople don't really consider buttboater gatherin as ww events. Or do you have more Canoers than butt boater show up?
there's a bunch of both... the idea is exposure, and Yes ALF is a tailor made for open canoe marketing... however you got to strike while the fire is hot, and that month is a prime time for southeastern purchases... forget exposure to those outside our little world - doesn't that tie into another current thread?