Louie

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

BigMike
C Guru

Louie

Post by BigMike »

Louie, you seem to be the man for Mexico. I've never been and really fancy going but I don't want to take a boat (too much hassle with airlines), plus, I don't fancy a "whitewater holiday" - you know the kind of thing, pay a company and they take you places and it can be pretty vanilla.

So, is there a vibrant open canoeing scene there? Do you think it would be possible to hire a boat? Whens the best time to go and do you have any other suggestions or things I should look at? Cheers
Louie

Post by Louie »

Yes Esprit has the best set up down there in the best area. He has a great selection of boats from old coal barges (outrages) to the hotest thing goin (proto type of the Ledge). I do know what you mean about the vaninala part however but with the sue happy attitude of so many people I can understand why he does it the way they do. I don't have trouble talkin to anyone even if I don't speak the same lanague, so I was in Hog heaven we would drive around find a river that looked good, find a local who looked like he didn't have anything to do, we would give him 20 bucks and had a shuttle driver, body guard and best friend for life. If you are the kind of person who doesn't need to be lead around by the hand, book a flight to Veracruz, call Alina at Avis, give Jim a deposit that would cover the cost of you losin one of his boats and hit the road, you will have the time of your life, remember thare haven't been enought American down there to screw it up for everone else. If you have any douths go with Jim and Esprie once let him get to know you and he might take you on the private trip they do without customers. Reguardless of which way you go you can't go wrong. Call me if you want 803 319 1719.

Of course if you wanted to buy me gas I'd drive both our boats down and meet you, and then you would really have the best trip of you life, but you might have to figure in the cost of a divorce. Pinchelocogringo endin up buyin one when he was down there with me, however if you could see his new women you would think it was worth it. One draw back we will have to submit all our flow level so we would meet the exactin standers of all the virtual boaters.
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

:lol: excellent.

I've done solo whitewater trips before, but for mexico I'd want some company, and I can't see my paddling friends from here wanting to go. If there is a possibility that you guys are going to be there then I would definitely consider that, I'm sure it would be excellent! The flight is a shitty one for me, seems its best to fly from the UK to madrid, then on to mehico and veracruz, avoiding US immigration (which is always a total nightmare)

I looked at espirit, and I hear Jim is a top guy - I just don't want the structure of a commercial trip where (understandably) they have to assess everyone and then tailor it to the most inexperienced person if you know what I mean.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Well I was there with a guy who had never boated but didn't have a lot of senses but a lot of nerve. He did one raft trip bought a death yak ( inflateable kayak ) and three trips later he was doin a 35 footer on a first D. so I couldn't of had a better partner, smart enought to learn, but dumb enough not too know any better.
esprit
C Guru

Esprit trips

Post by esprit »

Hey Mike,

I certainly understand your concerns about booking onto group trips. Our programs with Esprit are a bit different however. We have a wide variety of rivers that mostly cater to intermediate/advanced paddlers but have other options for those that arn't up for the more challenging runs.

We have a large staff that are all on salary so we can easily divide our groups to make sure they are on the best river for their skill level... that way... no one suffers. The advanced people are not held back and the newer folks are not frightened to death.

We have had alot of folks join us that wouldn't typically book onto a group trip. After a few days of getting to the river without getting lost, having great meals organized, beer waiting at the take out, camps set up and ready on arrival.... some folks that kinda get use to and like the organizational assistance.

Anyway... if I can help in anyway let me know.

jim at whitewater.ca
BigMike
C Guru

Post by BigMike »

Thanks Jim (and Louie)
dhumphrys
c

Mexico with Esprit

Post by dhumphrys »

Hey Mike

Well I thought maybe I would share some potential insight with regards to Esprit and Mexico.

It is clear that Louie has lots of experience within Mexico but I thought I would share my experiences in being a paying client on an Esprit trip.

I realized you likely do not want to read about me nor do I want to really write about myself. However I think my background is important so you can get some idea of me and what I would likely be feeling/expecting. So in a few points here it is:
- Open boating since 1996
- I am confident in saying I am an advanced level paddler (river running) and a novice level playboater
- I have guided on many extended river expeditions in Ontario, Quebec, and northern Canada for school boards, Outward Bound Canada, and private companies
- Certified moving water instructor (yeah I read the thread about certs vs. experience).

So with this said let me tell you about my time with Esprit. In 2008 I choose to head to Costa Rica for a paddling holiday (not Esprit). Like you I was not looking for the commercial experience and to have my hand held. I choose to travel with my open boat (Taureau) which was difficult and resulted in the airline breaking it (photos were posted back in Feb 2008). Well in Costa Rica I was only really able to have a successful trip because of fellow Canadians I knew that were working in the industry in Turrialba and were able to assist in logistical details. I am sure that I could have had a good trip traveling blind as well. However I wanted to paddle and not spend my time driving around lost in a shuttle vehicle with the guy I paid off the street and turns out to be non reliable. Upon returning from Costa Rica I decided I would try the alternative the following winter. So I booked on with Esprit in 2009.

Esprit fulfilled all my expectations and surpassed many more. My bags were lost in my travels and I was without them for the first 3 days. Not an issue as Jim was able to assist in me being outfitted with good gear for both on and off the water. The only exception was shoes in a size 14. The fine people at Esprit do not have size 14 feet and neither do Mexicans! Although not the ideal situation it was not a big problem. As I was enjoying myself paddling Esprit was tracking my bags down, and keeping on the airline about locating them and getting them to me ASAP.

Further when you talk about your holiday being "vanilla" Esprit is everything but. As I gave a little bit of my background to start I am use to being in the guiding role not the client. With Esprit it was very rare, if ever that I felt I was having my hand held. Skills were assessed initially on the water and respected. I never felt limited in what I was or was not allowed to run/do. It was not another “whitewater holiday”. In fact I got more immersed in the culture with Esprit then I did well in Costa Rica solo. One example is Jim’s balance between eating at the Esprit dinning room each night and eating local flavors. A very memorable dinner was being welcomed into the house of a family for dinner and eating a authentic cuisine.

I also enjoyed many other components to traveling with Esprit. Never did I have to worry about shuttles or my stuff well on the river, the beer at the takeout was always cold, the two night/3 day river trip not only had good paddling but also breath taking surroundings and great food prepared by the Esprit guides. It was a nice just having to socialize well dinner was being prepared.

So already this is getting long and I have not ever really got into talking about the rivers. It is a nice selection of water that you paddle. The first day you paddle a mellow river that allows you to get the winter rust off, and sort out any technical details with the equipment you will be using ( I had to shave foam out of the Taureau so my long legs would fit). After that the rivers certainly step it up a notch and keeping things entertaining with some good drops and technical sections on all the rivers and some mellower sections to just take a breather and relax.

Hopefully this helps you in your decision. If you have questions drop me a message and I will be happy to answer. There is much more I could tell you about and all of it being positive. What Esprit puts on is far more then just a "whitewater holiday" and certainly far from being “vanilla”.

Cheers

Dave