C1 Play Boating Paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Kevin
C Guru

C1 Play Boating Paddles

Post by Kevin »

Well i have some cash to buy a paddle. Since i broke my werner Bandit in half at lachine..

I don;t have that much money, so most likely i';ll end up getting whatever i can get a deal on.

Werner Bandit - i like, i would buy the fiberglass againb, but would prefer the carbon but there $$$

Waterstick - Anyone tried the new watersticks? again the carbon over the fiberglass but $$ there supposed to be really durable now. Hows the wacky blade design on a cross stroke recovery? funky?

Galasport- The platnuin demon wasn't stiff enough for me intially, had to much snap, felt good once you got going, but the first 2-3 strokes are usually most important to me, and i wasn't a huge fan.

Echo - carbon shaft and carbon blade (still a wood paddle) haven't given it a try yet, hopefully will thi summer.... im not too sure about it yet......

Aquabound: Edge carbon, they just fell so cheap to me after using the bandit, and i have similar feelings about it like i do to the galasport.

Any one have any opionions or suggestions?
Im using it for riping it up on the ottawa and bigger water attempting to throw down the tricks in my kingpin.
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs
Kevin
C Guru

Post by Kevin »

also i just wanted to see if there was anything else out there?
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Rough Stuff

Post by Sir Adam »

I just got a Rough Stuff paddle, and though I have yet to use it on anything but flatwater, I'm impressed. NOT cheap (especially with the current exchange rate...), but if it's as durable as they say it is, it's well worth it:

http://www.roughstuff.ie/portal/index.htm
Keep the C!
Adam
Judd

Post by Judd »

Hey Kev,

I've used most of the paddles you list (cept the waterstick). I'm paddling with a galasport demon right now. At first I didn't like it, but now I find that it's really grown on me and I really like all the flex it has. You definately need to paddle it differently than other stiffer blades. They are super durable.

You can never go wrong with a werner, but they've changed the t-grip compared to older blades. I like the older ones better cause I have small hands, chances are you had an old one on your paddle.
Aquabound is a decent all around paddle, especially for the price, but you will break it sometime, and probably sooner than later.
Lots of people are saying good things about echo and other wooden paddles. I've used an echo a couple times, but not enough to get a good feel for it. For some reason wood paddles just don't feel right to me, that might change after I've got some mileage with them.

Probably the best thing would be to find some other c-boaters and demo their paddles. Kalin has a big collection, and I'm getting there myself too, if you ever want to borrow one, let me know and I'll hook you up.

Judd
JeffHoff

Get the waterstick

Post by JeffHoff »

I was definitely a sceptic, then I tried one. It's got the best feel of any paddle I have ever had in the water. I used to have a bandit, which I thought was great until I tried the waterstick.
Later,
Jeff
Alex

Post by Alex »

i use a galasport paddle which i really like, and i have a Robson paddle which is also a nice paddle, it's got a skypole shaft which i prefer to a carbon shaft although the blade is a little small for my liking.

Alex

Post by Guest »

have you lookrd at the fluid technologies paddles? i just got one, but havent been able to use it yet. i have heard great things about them, and they are only $140. i believe they are next generation lighning paddles, atleast that is what i have heard. the website is fluidpaddles.com, and they sell them at outdoorplay.com --- joey
Dale
C Boater

ZRE Paddle

Post by Dale »

Kevin
New WW Paddle WW Zaveral/ZRE designed by Harold Deal -
Power Curve Paddle - Not a cheap paddle but what a smooth one!

www.zre.com

Zaveral Racing Equipment
242 Lockwood Hill Road
Mt. Upton, N. Y. 13809-2117

607-563-2487 phone
607- 563-1303 fax

check it out on the web sight.

:D
Paolo
Pain Boater

Post by Paolo »

I use a Galasport Demon and I like it, I prefere soft paddles; but if you like stiff paddles don't forget to consider a Mitchell. The premiere curved carbon covered blade is the strongest I tried. I use one for creeking since tre years and is still ok. You can have it with wooden or carbon shaft. Ok the price isn't cheap but it value all the money you spend.
Paolo Santoné

www.playboatingitalia.com
the italian playboating portal
Kirill
c

Post by Kirill »

My vote is for Galasport. Like Paolo, I prefer galasport Demon. It's really soft, but at the same time hard to kill :D
Also, there is a quite new Galasport Magnum- even more 'die hard'

Happy New Year to everybody! :lol:

Kirill
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Has anyone ever tried one of the paddles from Double Dutch? They are made in Europe by Dutch Composites. I have never seen them here in the U.S., but I saw some on a recent trip to Japan. They looked and felt pretty sweet. They have a website www.dutchcomposites.com.
Olivier

Double Dutch C1 Mitchel

Post by Olivier »

Yes, I have one

Very rigid and stiff blade in prepreg carbon, very light and not so expensive. Unfortunately I already broke the carbon T-grip but I could fix it easily.

Olivier
marko

my 2 cents...

Post by marko »

I vote for GALASPORT ...great materials and great desing...

3M if you like slalom feel (there is 2 sizes)

and the new soft one is great too

I had many paddles (robson, douple dutch, nomad) and 3m medium (elite) is the my winner...