Jefe or Jefe Grande ?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Larry Horne
C Maven

Jefe or Jefe Grande ?

Post by Larry Horne »

Considering getting a jefe or jefe grande.....
My lg burn handles great and is roughly the same size (80 gal)as the regular jefe...but the jefe looks like it has a lot more of that 80 gal. in the bow...

so my question is...can anyone comment on the jefe grande vs. jefe?

I'm 185lbs, hate going deep, and love to do two and three day self support trips.
I like big boats, so I'm leaning toward the grande. It seems massive looking at the specs, but i know kayakers that swear by it.
Larry
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

I have a grande and love it I'm a little bit heavier than you but I don't think it will matter at all. It is a sweet boat. You said you like to stay on top and that is what this boat does so well. With a little angle and a stern sweep you can get on top of the foam of any hole. Not the fastest as far as top speed but what modern creek boat is actually fast. It accelerates fast and thats what matters. turns on a dime. Boofs great even when you mess up. I can't say enough good about this boat. Haven't paddled to much big water in it manly steep low volume. Either way liquidlogic customer service rocks and you can buy a hull direct with no holes. I'm trying to think of something bad to say maybe top speed and lack of edges but I don't like edges on my creekboats
I would say go grande it will make a better boat I would rather be at the lower end on weight than upper end in a creekboat and as a cboater you can handle the volume better
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I was able to borrow a jefe grande to play with. :D
So I put my setup in there today and hope to try it out on a river tomorrow..
I set the saddle 8.5" from the rim...seem about right?
Larry
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

don't have mine outfitted currentlybut I used the original bulkhead holes for my dagger pedestal and my backrest is three inches thick so wherever that is..? Obviously it will change as you know though. I think that the trim won't throw you off too much if you are just trying it out. I love my Grande!!!! It may not be the best performer on river running but on the steeps it is awesome. Mess around with engaging the edges in the stern. Let us know what you think I would like to here someone elses opinion on the boat!!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

there's edges in the stern? :o :D
Larry
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

haha kind of
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

The Jefe is very narrow and has a tendecy to "skid out" at the back unless you really lean out (engaging the near invisible chines), which is an issue on the off side.

The grande being wider and having the "almost rails" extending further down the boat is less squirrily like that.

Ultimately both are (really) great boats, but put a very high demand on the paddlers skill level to get the most out of them.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
oc ender
C Guru

jefe

Post by oc ender »

H 255,'nuff said!! 8)
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I hear you. I went through 3 of those and i'm on my second burn now.
just curious about the jefe is all.
Larry
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Larry,

It is going to be a little strange not seeing you in a Pyranha :o ! Did you consider a Remix?

SYOTR,

Bruce
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Take a look at the Fluid Solo once. I took a good long look at one this weekend... it seems to have a loose enough hull, yet it has edges that might work well... and it has a good deal of flare which means it stable. Overall I like some of the lines on the boat but I've no clue how they paddle as a conversion. One of the kayakers in the group said he's never paddled a kayak with as good of secondary stability as the Solo.
http://www.fluidkayaks.com/wwkayaks/solo.html

They apparently make an "expedition" version too.
http://www.fluidkayaks.com/wwkayaks/ExpeditionSolo.pdf

I don't work or shill for any kayak companies... but I do look at lines and designs quite a bit. :wink:

edit... http://www.justfluid.com/05beaverraquette.mov

edit... where'd Jan Dettmer go? http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

I'd forgotten how old this design actually was :lol:
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

nah, i don't see the remix being any better for me than the burn on the IV-V runs i'm doing. I love the burn on that stuff.
if (and I doubt it) i get another boat it would be a creek boat for harder class five, like jefe, nomad, habitat or similar.
I paddled the grande on flat water and it feels really good. I was suprised at the amount of primary stabilty. got to get it on some whitewater though.. I hear it will kick your butt if you don't drive it.
Larry
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

no way it won't kick your butt it is super forgiving really especially if you are paddling a burn.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i'm pretty sure solo would be terrible c1. it is super slow.
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

the solo is a good conversion actually I like the jefe more, but I have some bias. most true modern creekers aren't "fast" some may be a bit faster but its all relative