Would you a buy a Dagger Phantom if you could?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Anna

Would you a buy a Dagger Phantom if you could?

Post by Anna »

Hi there,
Thanks for everyone's great advice with boats. Trying to find the right one is tough. I wanted some feedback as to whether a new Dagger Phantom is a good idea if the oppertunity arose. Thanks,
Anna
Martyn
Pain Boater

Post by Martyn »

Hi Anna,

A new Dagger Phantom might be tough to find, I'm pretty sure Dagger has taken them out of production. As to whether or not it would be a good idea, it really depends what kind of paddling you are doing and how big you are.

The Phantom seems ideal for smaller people (say less than about 180lbs). Heavier than that and the boat seems to wobble around too much. The Phantom has (in my opinion) limited play abilities. It is however a great river running and slalom boat. It really helps if you can keep it dry as it is a pig to paddle full of water (more so than other OC1's). However, for a boat that responds to finesse of control, there is nothing else like it.

I sold my Phanotm for a number of reasons. The Royalex was starting to flex quite badly (for some reason, the red boats seem to be more susceptible to this than theyellow ones) and while it is a really good boat, I prefer something with a harder edge.

I'd also say the Phantom is for intermediate to advanced paddlers. A beginner friend of mine who has lots of natural ability bought one and found it was hampering her paddling. She's kept the boat but is picking up a Bell Prodigy in the spring.

I have no doubt if you were to buy a Phanotm, you would be able to sell it for the same or near wht you paid for it, but I'd relaly suggest you try one. Like a lot of designs, it is an exxcellent boat but some people will like it a lot more than others.

Martyn
Cdawg

Post by Cdawg »

How about the detonator? Saw one for the first time last week at the pool. Good looking boat, this one had nice thigh straps, easy to roll (for the owner at least), and last but not least, that nice nice battery powered bilge pump.

Ever been in a decked canoe? You might want to give that a try as well: Easy to paddle, faster than a lot of open boats, much easier to roll, and ya don't paddle around with a boat half full of water.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Hi Anna,

I can't answer your question directly, but give my thoughts.

First of all, it will be hard to find a brand new Phantom, since it has been out of production for over a year now, so you may have to stick with a used one.

I tried out the phantom a few times and although it is a good boat, it has very round chines, while I personally prefer boats with harder chines.

It get's into the area of personal preference, some people like boats with hard chines, others just hate them.
Generally the Phantom is initially more user friendly, i.e.more forgiving than a boat with hard chines, as they tend to catch you off guard if you are not used to them.
Some people adapt to hard edges quickly and usually love them, others never do and just hate them.

The best thing is to try out as many boats as possible and find out what suits your paddling style!

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Glenn
c

Post by Glenn »

Hi Anna,
I paddle a Phantom and really like it, but it is one of those boats where you will often find polarity of opinions.
If you live in the Toronto area, and want to try out a Phantom, there are pool sessions in Etobicoke that I go to and would be more than happy to let you try out the Phantom.
Good luck with your search.
Glenn
P.S. If you know of a Phantom that is for sale, and you decide that you are not interested, please e-mail me with details as I'm keen on getting another one.
Gmeinzer@thedominion.ca
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Anna,
Don't know where you live, but this Sunday I will be going to the same pool sessions as Glenn in Etobicoke, so if you are from the GTA you could give my Prelude a try.
Usually I go to the pool sessions in Barrie (also Sunday evening), you could try outthe prelude there if you are interested.

Glenn, are you collecting Phantom's now or what? :wink:
I taped that segment on Sport Journal about the Moose Fest, so if you want to see it, let me know! And yes, I'll be at the pool session on Sunday!

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Phantom

Post by NZMatt »

Hi Anna

I would give the Phantom a thumbs up if you can find one. I think it's actually a pretty good beginner boat for small paddlers. My wife (who is very small, I must admit - ~100lbs) has one which she got after about 10days on the water paddling a Flashback. She really likes the boat. I also like the Phantom a lot, although as with Martyn and Martin prefer a harder chine. I think the Phantom is a boat that would be tough to grow out of if you like a boat with soft chines.
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
Anna

Etobicoke Pool sessions

Post by Anna »

Hi Glen and Martin,
Thanks to everyone who have given me their advice about boats. I was wondering when and where the Etobicoke sessions are? I do live in the Toronto area. I'd love to try both the Phantom and the Prelude. Maybe I'll bring my friends Ocoee so I can try all the boats out. Perhaps I'll see you on Sunday.

Anna
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Hi Anna,

The pool sessions are on Sunday evenings from 7 to 8.30 pm at Gus Ryder pool in Etobicoke. I will be there this Sunday only with my Prelude, as I usually go to toe pool sessions of the Barrie Canoe Club in Barrie.

For directions, see the link below:

http://www.lakeshoreswimclub.com/story.php?articleId=61

martin
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

Anna,
River Sports in Knoxville, Tennessee @ 865-523-0066 has a new phantom, yellow with wood, and a prelude
chuck