What would be a good high volume tandem for class III

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Western Canoeing (Clipper) makes a WW tandem boat called the MERGANSER.

It's 15' plus change, and 34 - 36" wide. Rocker is mild, but the boat surfs well, bounces fairly well through big waves, and is very stable -- even when full. Good speed.

Volume enuff for two big honkers, or as a WW tripping boat.

Slight downside is that it could be deeper -- sometimes gets damp when leaned too far.

I've used mine for years -- it ain't for sale.

Not available in royalex or plastic -- only composite. But Western Canoeing does a bang-up job with a variety of layups.
C'est l'aviron. . . !
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Richard,

The XL15 is a fine canoe for Class III paddling, but lacks the cargo carrying ability and performance fully loaded that the Dimension has. Mohawk would be the perfect company though to step up and fill the void with a Dimension-esque canoe. You make it, I'll buy it.
dwd58
Pain Boater

Post by dwd58 »

Mohawk xl 15
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

If cargo is the goal i would chooose the Nova 16 or intripied 16
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

If you can find one, the Old Town Cascade or Appalacian are worth a look. I've had a Cascade for 12 years which is a 14 and a half ft. version of the Appalacian. With my son and I in it, it's a great class III + boat. Tougest royalex boat I've owned.
Parrot Head Paddler
WaveRhydr
C Boater

Old Town Appalachian

Post by WaveRhydr »

The question was about a high volume tandem for class III. I got to think the appy is the way to go. Its got capacity out the wazoo and handles darn well.

Yeah, its not a hot boat by todays standards and is old school, but handles like a dream and you could carry out an elk in the darn thing while running ww.

The wife and I just took ours on the upper runs of the buffalo river in the ozarks on a 2 day camping trip. We had that thing way loaded, ran sections in the red (dont ask) and that canoe amazed us. It was a joy to paddle. We had to run rock garden after rock garden in it, and a number of technical sections as well.

The only outfitting we had in it was a set of knee pads each. I will be working on really outfitting it this weekend
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Dimension all the way

Post by ohioboater »

They're getting hard to find, but the Dimension is by far the best big volume tandem I've ever paddled. I weigh about 180 with all my gear on, and I once ran a Dimension with a novice bow paddler who probably weighed 270, maybe more. We were way out of trim, as you can guess, but the boat STILL handled well and ran dry.

With two paddlers who know what they are doing, that design can run nearly anything.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I also agree that the Dagger Dimension is the way to go! I LOVE mine. Its dry, very stable, and just stupid predictable.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

When you're looking to run Class IV rapids or something like the Grand Canyon, the Dimension is simply in a class by itself. None of the boats mentioned here compare in performance. The others, such as the Appalachian, are decent, but they're not designed with enough rocker and enough flare in the bow and stern. Some boat manufacturer is really missing an opportunity by not filling the gap left by the loss of the Dimension mold. There is no ultimate whitewater tandem tripping canoe right now. Just a lot of canoes that don't quite make it.
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I got a good deal on a new Appalachian for $1100. I went for the more all round and lighter boat. I will also give him $40 bucks a week to pay for it and he is letting me take it now! It is good to have a relationship with a boat dealer :) I send people to him all the time to and he gives them good deals also. (he made the offer to me I just ask how much I could get one for!)
If I see a Dimension cheap some time I will grab it. I have my caption set up solo and I am having a ball with that If I loose 70 lbs I may set it up tandem because then my outrage X will fit me better to!
Einar
CBoats Addict

Rigging these larger ww tandems

Post by Einar »

How many of the responders are rigging these boats with straps and pedastal seats or just cane seats and knealing knee blocks? I have knee blocked my App. but was thinking of pedastal seating and straps. Any comments?
mattm
C Guru

Post by mattm »

I'd second the Dimension, but as long as you're looking used, don't count out a Whitesell Pirana. Aaron and I converted ours to tandem, and honestly we only paddled it once in cl.2, but we played in the features, surfed, backsurfed, sidesurfed yadayada, had fun, caught eddies quicker than I figured we would, and stayed totally dry. We're 210 apiece.
Answer last poster question...Aarons my outfitter/ pedestals and thigh straps front and rear.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2495 ... 6337rqNbAL
so glad for Krylon, ABS and acetone.Squirt, sail, paddle and pole.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

My Dimension has pedestals/ straps
Einar
CBoats Addict

pirana

Post by Einar »

Had a Pirana for a while but found it a little wet in the middle, like many play tandems. 205 lbs + bow paddler
OhCeeOne
C Boater

Post by OhCeeOne »

What about a Venture if you could find one?