2010 N. Branch of the Potomac Armada / Cquirt May 21-23

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

KNeal wrote:I'm looking to run either the Cheat or Lower Yough Friday in the morning, eat lunch then run over to the Cheat (or wherever the c-quirters are going to be submerging themselves). PM me if you're interested in running something.

KNeal
I think PAC and some of us Canucks are doing the Lower Yough loop friday AM pending when wee get our butts there.

Are you thinking of running the whole river?
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

Bring your creek boats, looks like everything will be big! :D
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

MrTgrips wrote:Bring your creek boats, looks like everything will be big! :D
Crap ... how big ... scare me I am swimming big?!
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

It's all good! :wink: The LY is at 5ft today. That's pretty good, summer levels are 1.5 to 2ft. The cheat is at 2 ft. which is twice as high as the last time I ran it with you. :D
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

MrTgrips wrote:It's all good! :wink: The LY is at 5ft today. That's pretty good, summer levels are 1.5 to 2ft. The cheat is at 2 ft. which is twice as high as the last time I ran it with you. :D
yeeeeee hhhhaaaaaawwwwww
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Hmmm... wonder where we'll be Cquirting this year....

See y'all soon (I'm practicing my southern :wink: )
Keep the C!
Adam
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

YEEEHAAAW!

Lots of stuff going off right now. Those rivers have quick draining tributaries so its hard to say what will still have water 3 days from now. Here is what I am seeing:

- The Cheat is still rising some so there is a good chance that it will be at a runnable level on Friday. This looks to be the best option right now for intermediates and advanced boaters.

- The Big Sandy is already low-runnable so that may be out unless they are still gonna get rain between now and then.

- Lower Yough has LOTS of water (and that is a good thing :D ) and will most likely still have lots of water by Friday. A good option for advanced boating if the water stays above 3.5 feet.

- Savage is running right now but is dropping. If there is rain that keeps the Savage running then all bets are off. I'll be there if you want to find me. 8)

- NB Potomac (Kitzmiller) is runnable-low right now. That would be a great run if it can be caught with water.

Those are the choices I'm looking at and the Cheat looks the best of the bunch right now, second choice is the Lower Yough if PAC and Canadians go there, NB Potomac (Kitzmiller) is next for a change of pace, but remember the Savage if the water level stays boatable!. I mostly want to be with a good-sized group of boaters so whereever the group goes, there goes I as well. :roll:

Is that clear enough for everyone? :lol:

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

Is that clear enough for everyone?
Clear as mud! :roll:

:lol:
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Sir Adam wrote:Hmmm... wonder where we'll be Cquirting this year....

See y'all soon (I'm practicing my southern :wink: )
Got a note from Jimi. He says there's a higher water squirt spot on river right (a righty regular) about a mile upstream from Calamity- in the same place as "Bill's hole"- which is a hole that comes in around 5'.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

Keep posting as Friday gets closer. Cheat is a huge watershed, so I can't see it dropping out before Friday. I'd be more worried about it being too big, at least for mortals like myself.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Yeah... I remember the year when the rangers turned us away from the Yough because it was too high. We checked the level on the Savage (Neal was mission control back in Richmond) and while on the drive over it went from something sane (500cfs?) to high runnable to almost out of its banks...
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Thoughts....

Post by PAC »

This is all tentative…..its your event!!!
Friday, May 21
o Meet at Ohiopyle boater changing house parking lot. Target time frame 9AM – my cell is 412 three one zero – 6039.
o Groups can form up to run the Lower Yough Loop, the Cheat – Canyon or Narrows, or whatever else is up and accessible. With the current weather forecast water selections are wide open!
o 11:30 – Noon – Cquirt groups to meet at PS Composites - Paul and MK expect us. Karan from SkirtWorks might be there as well.
o After checking out composite wares the group can then head for Subway for lunch then off to F.Alley (or other) on the Cheat Narrows (water dependant). For those interested the Narrows will be do-able as well for river runners.
o Dinner and awards at Pizza Hut in the PM - then head off to camp site(s). Cheat Canyon group(s) will meet all at the camp site(s).
Note: A couple folks may be doing a quick side trip in the AM to Airtight Inflatables to do some Shredder recon. Others are welcome to stop as well.
Saturday, May 22
o Meet at the Red Brick building’s parking lot between 10:00 & 11:00. Figure out logistics and boats.
o Drop off vehicle for shuttling and take boaters / boats to NBof P put in. Get off river whenever and reverse shuttle.
o If the Savage is up someone will force others to go run it :wink: .
o Meet at Fox’s Pizza for dinner – time TBD…. Note: Did anyone call them yet to warn them????Head to campsite(s) and finish out the evening.
Sunday, May 22
o Have breakfast and hit the road (or eat on the road) and head to ASCI for paddling at 11 with 2 pumps running. $10 for the day has been confirmed with Matt at ASCI for the Cboat crowd.
o Leave when you want and drive home safely.
Last edited by PAC on Wed May 19, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Re: Thoughts....

Post by cmnypny »

PAC wrote:This is all tentative…..its your event!!!
Ain't Paul Fest 2010

btw you had two saturdays listed.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Don't confuse Paul with details. Also, it might be wise to remember which way he *points* when giving directions (rapids or roads) and not whether he *says* left or right.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Nope it would be ....

"Conordia 99 +11"

Oh and KNeal I only provide those type of directions to Big Al and yourself. I take care of my friends!

My bad on the SP - fixed that too!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!