soft royalex on new boat

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

zepance
c

soft royalex on new boat

Post by zepance »

Hi,

I recently bought me a new paradigm boat from esquif serial number qvvpa003c707
Seems to me that the boat has been made in 2007, so 3 years old already.
When I paddled it, the least bit of rock i touched gave me scratches, very deep ones at that.
I even managed to get a scratch trough the vinyl layer when not even sitting in the boat.
Anybody have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thx
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

contacting the company rep or dealer is the best place to start then if you get nowhere post it. Atleast give th company a chance to make it right if there is anything to make right
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Read... http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=7959958

If you still feel there is an actual "defect" with your boat after reading... as Richard said... contact the dealer you purchased it from, your regional rep. or the company.

There's a reason that other thread is a "sticky" btw. :roll:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Craig, that sticky is worth reading, but no place for new discussion.
zepance
c

Post by zepance »

after reading that thread
I was wondering if the curing process of royalex still applies when the boat is made 3 years ago.
Has the curing of royalex to do with sunshine or does it also cure in dark rooms without any sun?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

the cuing of royalex is a time thing more than anything
Richard Guin
zepance
c

Post by zepance »

if it is a time thing then it should be cured after 3 years I guess.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

just wondering what color
Richard Guin
maorisioux
c

Post by maorisioux »

how neat. whitewater boats you can't actually paddle on whitewater unless you "finish" it yourself. who really cares whether the "defect" is with the boat or the process? how many years are we supposed to store our multi-thousand dollar boats before we can use them? sweet too how the company men are quick to take umbrage with someone who voices their concern with that, public forum or otherwise. it's clearly not an isolated problem. are you just trying to make a sale? can't have boats that last too long or we won't buy one each year? i don't believe that (i guess i mean that i don't want to believe that) but the jury is still out.
i can see that this forum is kind of an old-boys club, but i think the voice of every paddler should be heard-all us little people. bring on the complaints.

or should i have responded to a "sticky"?(whatever the f*** that is)
zepance
c

Post by zepance »

it is a yellow one
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

The reason I ask the color is that it seems that yellow has more problems then anyother color. Noone knows why but it seems to be the case, across the board. We dont sale yellow ww boats anymore. As for the post saying that companies want the boats to fail Your crazy There is no longterm money in saleing junk and I think the few companies that are stilll in biz are looking for the long haul. I hate the fact royalex is what it is. and I ddont have a dog in this at all (not my company) but I feel it is wrong to slam a product without trying to resolve it with the company. and to the statement companies want customers to buy boats yearly bogus openboaters dont buy boats yearly no matter the case.
Richard Guin
maorisioux
c

Post by maorisioux »

just upset
too easy to push send when i'm hot-sorry all for the vitriol
meant to imply nothing, just gone through 3 r-lex boats in as many years
composite man now
Eric Nyre
C Guru

Post by Eric Nyre »

Scratches or gouges?

Big difference!

A scratch is like the scratch on paint. A gouge is where the rock leaves a minor crease in the ABS substrate.

Scratches happen. The outer layer of the boat is vinyl. It's not some diamond hard substance. Good news on scratches is 1) they're easy to ignore, and 2) you can spraypaint over them if they get on your nerves.

The outer layer of Royalex is just there for UV protection and pigment. It's not structural. But ya, vinyl is inherently soft and it scratches very easily.

Now if you're getting creases in the boat from sliding over rocks, that's a real issue. The Royalex cure cycle has more to do with the ABS/ foam core. On a fresh out of the mold boat, you can easily crease the hull. This isn't a scratch in the vinyl, but a gouge that deforms the lower layers. If you're getting something like that on your boat, then get your dealer involved.

If you want to post pictures, I can tell you if you have a scratch or gouge. I suspect you're just scratching the soft vinyl, and that's what we paddlers do :D
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

I have a new Nexus and it doesn,t take much to make dents and scraches in it... And I have paddle a few Esquif and other brand of boats made of RX and they all seem to be the same... Is that a big deal? for me not realy, I will paddle my boats as long as they float!
If I can find a good boat, made out of glass that fit my bill, i will buy it for sure! Now why there is not more manufacturers that build glass boats? Why, if Twintex is so good, Esquif not making more boats out of it?
Just my .02.
zepance
c

Post by zepance »

Eric Nyre wrote:Scratches or gouges?

Big difference!

A scratch is like the scratch on paint. A gouge is where the rock leaves a minor crease in the ABS substrate.

Scratches happen. The outer layer of the boat is vinyl. It's not some diamond hard substance. Good news on scratches is 1) they're easy to ignore, and 2) you can spraypaint over them if they get on your nerves.

The outer layer of Royalex is just there for UV protection and pigment. It's not structural. But ya, vinyl is inherently soft and it scratches very easily.

Now if you're getting creases in the boat from sliding over rocks, that's a real issue. The Royalex cure cycle has more to do with the ABS/ foam core. On a fresh out of the mold boat, you can easily crease the hull. This isn't a scratch in the vinyl, but a gouge that deforms the lower layers. If you're getting something like that on your boat, then get your dealer involved.

If you want to post pictures, I can tell you if you have a scratch or gouge. I suspect you're just scratching the soft vinyl, and that's what we paddlers do :D

To better describe the scratches. I have lot's of scratches in the vinyl that didn't go through the vinyl layer, which is normal.
I have 3 scratches that have gone through the vinyl, the scratch is white, so I believe this is the ABS showing.
If the ABS is not damaged then i suspect we are talking about scratches.
Considering the fact that the vinyl is only UV-protection you could say this might be normal.

How about denting it then. Which material in the composite is denting when you hit a rock. I still think it really dents easily.