Spanish fly vs. L'edge

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ian123
CBoats Addict

Spanish fly vs. L'edge

Post by ian123 »

I am on the verge of purchasing a new Spanish fly but the glowing L'edge reviews have caused me to reconsider. I've paddled the fly and I like its stability, agility, and ability to surf. I currently paddle an Ocoee.
Could someone who has paddled both the fly and the l'edge compare and contrast the two boats?
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

The Fly and L'Edge are pretty easy to compare.

They are probably tied for stability and responsiveness.

I would give the edge to the L'Edge on punching holes, dryness and it has slightly better hull speed.

The spanish fly is better for vertical playboating moves like loops, cartwheels, retentive enders and pirouettes. (although not many canoers do these types of moves and I think the L'edge will be a good overall playboat for surfing and 360's) I haven't gotten to do much playing in mine yet. I need to get it out on the ocoee.

They are both good boats but I would recommend the L'Edge as a better overall boat unless you plan to do a lot of playboating. Also, the L'Edge looks cooler. The open version with wood gunnels looks flat out bad butt!
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

My thoughts are the L'edge is faster, and much drier. Spanishfly surfs and plays better.

Stability and agility I'd have to paddle them back to back to really answer. It's been a while since I paddled a Spanishfly.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

haha it censored my last word: bad a$$ lol
Louie

Post by Louie »

don't worry dooley half the stuff I put up gets changed, Poton is havin a real problem with this. some parts of the country just don't have a sense of humor
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Dooley,

What is your opinion for creeking? L'Edge or fly. I can probably guess.

Marc
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

but... I love them both :cry:

get one of each! :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

For creeking go with the L'Edge.

The spanish fly is good for creeking but the L'Edge is better.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Dooleyoc-1 wrote:For creeking go with the L'Edge.

The spanish fly is good for creeking but the L'Edge is better.
Then you'd better change that profile picture brah! :lol:
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

New L'Edge vs used Fly would be an interesting problem. Wendy sold me her Fly at very nice price, so I went for the used Fly.

New L'Edge vs new Fly? I'd go L'Edge.
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Dooley, thanks for the opinion. That is what I thought you'd say. Based on the videos out there, the L'Edge looks really dry.

Craig, I have a fly and I'm not getting rid of it - ever. As for needing another boat, you are absolutely right. One problem though - the Mrs. I'll sell some boats that are collecting dust and maybe next year.

Do you guys have an opinion on how much weight is reasonable for the L'Edge. I'm looking for a boat to do some self supported multiday trips?

Craig, one last thing, PLEASE convince Esquif to get a demo boat out to the Northwest. I'd drive the 250 miles to Seattle or Portland to do a demo.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Marc
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Marc Evans wrote:Craig, one last thing, PLEASE convince Esquif to get a demo boat out to the Northwest. I'd drive the 250 miles to Seattle or Portland to do a demo.
:wink: I'm working on it... mind you... "that's not my department" :lol:
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

What about realy north west... Yukon/Alaska kind of north west, I know a few of us(6) that would like to try befor buying. who do we have to talk to?
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Thanks Marc and Lappie for touching on a major issue.

From my vantage point, Esquif has pretty much overlooked the opportunity to sell boats in the North-West.

Seattle's Paddle Trails Club, or Vancouver's Beaver Club, can put 30 or 40 open boats on the river at any one time. Check 'em out -- there's a poopload of Mohawk Vipers and Probes, with a buncha Mad River Outrages, all old-school designs, but taking up the space on the river.

Why no Esquif boats? Prob'ly cuz no one wants to buy a boat they've never seen, or sat in.

Esquif boats? We love the specs, we love the pix, we love the comments on Cboats.net, but we have no opportunity to look at, sit in, or test-paddle the actual products.

Last time I e-mailed the western rep. about bringing some samples out to a local event -- no response.

Hey, Esquif -- I want to spend some money!

So far, only this 2 cents worth. . .
C'est l'aviron. . . !
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Related to the organization of the Tamihi Five-0 slalom race, I'm in touch with the good people at Western, and Esquif's rep, who recently included Jacques on a similar discussion - does Esquif not bother to get demo boats here because we all paddle old used boats, or do we all paddle old used boats because Esquif doesn't send demos here?

Western Canoeing, the Esquif retailer, has been very supportive of our event, and last year Esquif was at the race with some demo boats, slim pickings, but a start.

They tell me they won't have a L'Edge in time for the race next month, but they may get one in next spring's shipment, or sooner. Workin' on it.

Here's evidence of Esquif coming out to our little slalom race in BC:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Beaver.Cano ... 0926570338

All you have to do is look at website and photos to see how many old boats and Mohawks are on the rivers here!

And this has been an objective of starting the Tamihi slalom event - promoting the sport out here, building relationships between clubs/cliques around the region, building relationships with our suppliers, and maximizing our power/profile as a place where some people do canoe! Jacques and Western may be a little more aware of us now than they were 3 years ago, and the fact that we get a group together at one place at one time can only help, and I expect we'll get a chance to demo a L'Edge within some reasonable time.

Pat.

p.s. Sorry, some this should probably be split into a new thread on "West and North getting overlooked for demos"