Perception HD-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

I was told HD stood for Hahn Design then Perception started calling it Hot Dog 1. Don't know if there's any truth to that or not. I have paddled many miles in an HD1 and loved it. It was and still is a great boat. Well ahead of it's time. It's very unforgiving and lets you know when you make a mistake. It will make you a good boater. That's probably the reason Louie badmouths it, cause he gets wet swimming out of them. I know crazy Joel from central PA still paddles one and I know of a couple more in like new condition that are never used anymore. Those two were of the last three Perception ever got rid of. They're yellow and were purchased with no gunwales or thwarts. Super nice boats and excellent plastic. It's still a better design than half the crap produced today.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I'd be interested in buying a bare hull if you know of one for sale, depending upon where it is.
JKaz
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

"Otter get another boat!" That cracked me up. I was introduced to solo canoeing in an Old Town Otter. Great boat for its day, if you could lift it.

Pat.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

otter

Post by oc1paddlr »

pat, was the otter that orange canoe?
paddlr
red boat ready
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Yup. About 14', and very traditional-looking, not much rocker, just looked like a mini cottage-variety canoe, but performed pretty well considering the limitations of it's length, width and weight (the Royalex was the old, heavy, bomber stuff). Every OT Otter that I've seen was that orange colour.

Wish I could find some pictures to show of me paddling that when I started out in about 2001, but I don't have any digital photos from then!

Pat.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

I think I've seen white ones too, but it's been a long time ago so I may be wrong.
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
Blackhawk
C Boater

HD-1

Post by Blackhawk »

I just bought an HD-1 this past week.
Light blue in color.
Great condition; seldom used.
Came with saddle, thigh straps, knee & leg padding & lace kit.

I think the guy I bought it from used it once.
He had no idea of what he was getting when he bought it, but found out real quick it was NOT a good choice for day floating on flat water.

I paid $240.00 bucks for it.

BOB
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

After paddling an oca for a couple years I got an HD1 without any idea what I was getting. it was too big of a transition for me and I got rid of it about 6 months later. Everything after that felt very stable.
Bill
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Kaz I think I might have one out back of the cabin in the "graveyard of elephants". I'll try to check this next weekend. If one is there its beat to death but.... if you really want it you can have it! :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
NW-OC-1

HD-1 in Seattle

Post by NW-OC-1 »

Hey, for you HD-1 lovers out there .... there is one for sale on Seattle Craigslist .. and "no" it's not mine, nor am I going to buy it ... though at $200 it's tempting. If someone is hot to own it, I might be amenable to helping you buy it and storing it for a while until you arrange transport ... and interestingly enough, I'll be driving to central Ohio in early October (assuming my plans don't change) and could possibly transport it East for you. Just a thought. I hate to see another classic become a planter or a kids toy.
Mad River Outrage & Outrage X, Bell Outraged , Blue Hole Starburst, Bell Magic, We•No•Nah Advantage, Old Town 110th Anniversary Koru, 1910 Old Town OTCA 16 (wood canvas), 1935 Willits Wood canoe, Clipper Jensen 18'6" Kevlar Solo Pro Boat
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Thanks NW, I've posted it on a forum of ww canoeists in Vanc, BC. We've got a few big, strong beginners who might be interested in kickin' it old school. We talked about my old OT Otter just this weekend on the Chilliwack Canyon run, as in: "imagine if I was paddling this stuff in my big, ol' Otter!".

http://paddlenet.myfastforum.org/index.php

Depending on who you're hooked with NW (PTCC?) and what you like to run, you might want to check that "local" forum out. We had a great trip to the MF Snoqualmie in April and would've loved some local company!

Pat.
Louie

Post by Louie »

LENGHTLY since you had to fire the first shot a couple of post up this thread what this I hear you didn't want to try any of Eli and Photon's line up on the UY.

I don't care but it has been quite the topic of conversation....even leading into the story about meetin at Shoneys and you were going to where we were goin till we got there.....I think in the Video you may be see in the parking lot

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Pin ... Jsv7Chpgmw

heck there is even a special mention in the credit for you. have you even watch the whole video? i know what you said in the parking lot but you can't watch that video and say we didn't have enought water.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Louie I prefer to paddle my boat not sled ride it. I guess next time I'm down there I'll prepare to sled ride, we use snow for that up here.
I don't know what you're talkin about with UY lines. I know you didn't hear that. Those guys were fun to boat with. Where were you?
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
Louie

Post by Louie »

I will tell the two guy who told me the stories you said they were liers, I was on the Russell Fork that day, just a II+ I would love to show you down it.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

I didn't say they were I'm saying you are lyin. Why don't you give me an example?