C1 skirt question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

C1 skirt question

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I have a necky orbit fish (lightweight) that i've converted to c1 with my dagger saddle. Paddles nice and I like it but was interested what people are doing with c1 conversions ref the skirt. I'm using my kayak skirt and it works ok but pops off at times. Any tricks of the trade I'm missing in getting it to work? [/list]
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

i've been using a bomber gear kevlar kayak skirt on my remix and now on my ez. i haven't had any problems until my last run in my ez. while rolling at the put in the skirt came off the combing on my on side. i guess i was stretching to far to get my roll set up or something. once it was wet it didn't happen any more though. from now on i think i'll soak it first before putting it on. that isn't the typical kayak skirt on a c1 problem and i don't know why it happened that day and not on previous days.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I use a custom skirt now. but in the past, I would put surf wax on the cockpit rim to help the skirt grip better.
Larry
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I had a custom IR skirt which recently died... So I'm using a normal playboater skirt I've borrowed whilst waiting for Pheonix Neoprene to finish making me a custom skirt (and one for my meltdown).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Mine popped off when I was rolling, thanks for the surf wax tip. I'll have to try that. Thought about stretching a piece of rubber around the comb to see if that works. Just a bit nervous about the c1 becoming an oc1 at a bad moment.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

You really need the correct skirt. I suspect the problem is as your body is in a different position their isn't enough fabric and you are always stretching it and tugging the rand off the rim.

I have 1 skirt now that will fit almost all my boats. A little extra fabric on some, a bit tight on others, but it works on all I've tried.

It is a SkirtWorks (custom cut for the Mentor - I wouldn't recommend ordering it for all boats as it is an odd shape, but I suspect they can come up with something that will work exceptionally well for you).
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Agree with Adam - you body position in a C1 is a few inch forward from where the K1 skirt tunnel was designed / made for. So anytime you put tourque on the skirt it has less fabric in certain areas to respond to and has to give it up somewhere.
There are exceptions some K1 skirts work better on some boats then others. If you have buddies with skirts laying about - borrow and test.
That said you can get a custom one built (I also did with Skirtworks) and its bomber. If they don't have that model they ask for a tracing and any special instructions - tunnel height, set back/front, lips sizing, etc. - and fab it up for you. I did this with my Fink and the skirt is now perfect.
Fairly inexpensive and quick turnaround as well as being good folks to deal with too. You can always build your own too to save some extra cash. Good luck.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Mission
C Boater

Post by Mission »

another option is snapdragon who if you send them the boat make and the distance from the cockpit rim from your back will make up a custom skirt for you
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Snapdragon does also make a good skirt.

I have quite a few skirts (more than my wife actually :oops: ) with all the older boats I've picked up over the years. Harmony, tightskirts, home-made, snapdragon, bodyglove (that may be homemade), SEALS, Mountain Surf, and SkirtWorks.

These days, I only buy SkirtWorks. BUT, if I was in Canada, I wouldn't hesitate to go Mountain Surf.
Keep the C!
Adam