Carl Schneider - passing of a kindred spirit....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Carl Schneider - passing of a kindred spirit....

Post by PAC »

This Friday past, on the Upper Black Water (WV), we lost a friend and fellow paddler. The incident occurred at Flat Line rapid but the details are not fully know at this time.
Carl was a teacher (on and off the river), a guide and basically one of the nicest people you ever wanted to meet.
Quick with a smile, a joke or a helping hand he was always involved and positive. He dabbled in C1, sometimes lurked on this site and was often featured on the local paddling site "Got Boof". Last time I saw him he was smiling and being positive as he took pod of newbies to the river to teach basic concepts...he will truly be missed!

Some photos can be seen of Carl on....
http://jeffmacklin.smugmug.com/Whitewat ... 6273_TGMvK

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

:( dam''n
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Ugh, hate to see that. Regards to family and friends...

Do we know what happened yet?
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

They haven't said yet what happened, but there's a notorious pin spot on the left side of Flatliner. Actually the drop got its name from a near fatal pin there on one of the first descents.

In my experience Flatliner is one that is both hard to point out to first-timers and also easy enough for even veterans to be casual about. I've seen good boaters accidently go right into that pin spot, just because they forgot or didn't know (but fortunately skip over it and not pin).

I hope everyone takes care to know where this rapid is when running the Upper B. It's one of the best rivers out there -- especially for cboats -- but clearly one of the most dangerous.

Alden
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I knew Carl well and had paddled with him in the past. I spent the day on Saturday on fish creek in NY, thinking the whole time about Carl and definitely shed some tears. This is not the first friend I've lost to the river but I hope its the last.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Was this guy a guide on the Lower Yough? Whether he is or not, I think I saw him when we were there at the end of August (I thought he was guiding a raft from his kayak, but could be mistaken) - that mustache looks familiar. That is terrible!
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Not sure if he was a raft guide, but he was often on the LY. I met him a few times, he seemed like a genuinely nice dude and a great boater.

My condolences to his friends and family.
Chris Loomis
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Post by cmnypny »

Sad to hear that.

I am pretty sure i met him at the Upper Yough takeout the day I ran it.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

So sad to hear that. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

I met him only once, we gave him a lift while running shuttle for the Upper Yough a few years ago. He was a very funny and friendly guy and gave us many hints about lines on the river.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
pier
C Boater

Post by pier »

My condolences to his friends and family, but in these moments there are no words that I can say for this brother of paddle
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Local boater JB Seay has posted some pictures of Flatliner Falls which show the pin spot on river left and which discuss some of the other current hazards on the Upper B:

http://creekwv.blogspot.com/2010/10/not ... water.html

Alden
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Carl's Memorial Paddle
Saturday, October 9 · 11:00am - 11:00pm
Meet at Wilderness Voyagers at 11:00 for Carl's memorial paddle. The paddle will finish cheers, love and celebrating his life at Falls City Pub.

C1Dub
C Guru

Post by C1Dub »

Carl was a guide for Wilderness Voyaguers in Ohiopyle. Great guy! He will be missed.

Natalie
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

A Fund for Carl has been established that could benefit any one of you in the future.

During the rescue the Tucker County EMS sent an expensive piece of equipment to the kayakers on the other side of the river in hopes it would help Carl sooner. They asked great care be taken as it was expensive and the only one. Unfortunately it was swamped crossing back across the river, possibly rendering it completely useless.

We are asking that donations be sent to help the EMS team fix/buy new equipment. Please show your support, both to Carl's family who may not fully understand Carl's river passion, and to a team of individuals ready to drop anything to help out a kayaker.

We will compile the donations at Wilderness Voyageurs to be able to send a list of donors to the family, along with total funds raised.

Checks/Cash can be sent to:

Wilderness Voyageurs
c/o Kasia Martin
PO Box 97
103 Garrett St
Ohiopyle, Pa. 15470

Make checks out to: Tucker County EMS

If you have any questions, please don't hesistate to email or call me:
610-703-7074
smhollings@gmail.com

Love to all,
Susan Hollingsworth
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Visitation information....

Post by PAC »

Carl was a guide working out of WV in Ohiopyle. His viewing / funeral information is as follows:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
2202 Reis Run Rd. Franklin Park, PA 15237
Viewing: Tues. Oct.5, 2010 6-8pm and Wed. Oct. 6, 2010 9:30-10:30,
Service: Wed. Oct 6, 2010 at 11am

Again this Saturday, Oct 9th at 11:00 some of his friends and family will be meeting at Wilderness Voyageurs at 11 to paddle the Lower Yough (Loop or whole thing) to remember him and to celebrate his life. Event details can be found at http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?ei ... 8814779475 .
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!