C-1 Ratchets stripping!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

windowshade
C Boater

C-1 Ratchets stripping!

Post by windowshade »

Okay, so I bought myself some snowboard ratchets bands to hook my legs in my C-1. So far so good. Then I install them, they fit well. I ratchet them to secure my legs and they start stripping clean off, the plastic dents in the notched band that feeds into the hand ratchet strips and small chunks of plastic shread off... Has this happenned to anyone. What am I doing wrong. Is it because there is a slight twist in the feeder strap as it feeds into the ratchet band strap? Both the ratchet and bands were used (paid $50 for the set) but looked brand new!

What gives?

Any opinions?

THanks,

Paul
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Somethings not right (obviously) in my 26 years of snowboarding, I've never seen them strip like that where the plastic is being chewed up as you mention. I would take them back and get a different brand. Might be cheap chinese stuff.... in my C1 I use snowboard straps and they are twisted a bit. Don't experience anything other than a tendency to not want to loosen easily.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

could be the wrong ladders for that ratchet?
Larry
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

+1 to Larry's thought. They definitely aren't working the way they are supposed to. If you bought them used, you may have gotten hosed. :(
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I think there are only two sizes of ladders and they are cheap enough to try.
Hopefully it's not bad ratchets, but even if it is, they can be replaced as well. I know my shop sells them if you need some.
Larry
windowshade
C Boater

Hey Larry

Post by windowshade »

And All,
Thanks for the responses. I will try to return the straps tonight and see if I can get better ones. If I can't, then Larry, where is your shop and do they shop to Ottawa, Canada?

Thanks,

Paul
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

well I guess they would. but the shop is really nothing special, and I would think any ski shop closer to you would have the same thing..
i'm glad to help regardless
Larry
windowshade
C Boater

Thanks

Post by windowshade »

Thanks Larry,

I got a refund for the stripped straps, thank goodness. I went all over Ottawa, looking for straps, every ski-board shop and finally got one pair, new and cheap ($20). I hope they work. I will post.

Thanks again,

Paul
windowshade
C Boater

Got better straps!

Post by windowshade »

Works well now!

Thanks,

Paul :D