Eddy McGnarlz... C1 Style

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Eddy McGnarlz... C1 Style

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Due to damaged boat. Had my first c1 run today, and threw a little video together from it...

I'll hold my comments on what I think of the C1 for now...

http://www.vimeo.com/15512877

Thanks for the borrow joe. (and paddle).
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
pyc1
C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

Cool. If you're anything like me, you'll become addicted to 1) not bailing, 2) ease of strokes, particularly off-side, and 3) in general, better hull shapes for surfing and play. Or not.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Got to say, as much as I love OC1, I have plenty of fun in my C1s. Just took my cascade out today because my girlfriend was in my only open boat I have at school. It was a blast! I'm looking forward to trying a converted creek boat like that Burn in the future.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Was that a bottom brace 'roll'? Sure looked like it :)
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

TN,

That's basically why I tried C-1 - when my new-to-solo-paddling wife wants to paddle my OC, I can go along in a C-1. And I can stay entertained on the runs she's willing to try. In fact, I'm probably more likely to flip!

Unfortunately, my wife hasn't paddled much, so my C-1ing ain't much!

Pat.

p.s. Gnarlz, good to see you on the river with some canoes!
p.p.s. I know people who will say some famous slalom racers like long paddles, but FWIW, I thought your paddle looked a bit long for you in the Burn.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

yarnellboat wrote:TN,

That's basically why I tried C-1 - when my new-to-solo-paddling wife wants to paddle my OC, I can go along in a C-1. And I can stay entertained on the runs she's willing to try. In fact, I'm probably more likely to flip!

Unfortunately, my wife hasn't paddled much, so my C-1ing ain't much!

Pat.
My girlfriend took a liking to my genesis, and while it is good to expand her paddling past buttboating (she even said she liked it more than her kayak!), it means I'm gonna have to get another OC1 over here!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

This is the start of the inevitable switch to c1. jack has a Y for sale that even i can almost afford, or at least could if he wanted some chickens. you can get a c1 that will last to maybe a year and a skirt for under $200, or get a canoe that won't last you through the winter for 3 times that. or a plastic one for ????

Edited by moderator
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

You looked pretty stable in that conversion, cause it is a little different from OB, bravo. I am a C1 only guy at this point but I know the beauty of open boating.
Rand
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Thank you rand. It felt extremely stable.

And oops - you are right. it is cheaper, and just all-around easier to deal with(no water, less weight, smaller, no airbags, ect). I just don't see myself really going for it in a c1.

Paddle for Glory. Paddle an Open Boat.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

you can always do both. i paddle both and they are equally as fun. it is fun to get in a c1 and try to learn tricks in a hole that I would only get one chance in in an open boat. i'll have to admit that it is fun for people to see what an open boat can do though!
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan