Skirt makers?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pyc1
C Boater

Skirt makers?

Post by pyc1 »

I have an old Mountain Surf custom skirt for a conversion (taller tunnel, and moved forward) that will need replacing before too long. I know Mt. Surf will still do this, but was wondering what other makers will do the C-1 custom skirt and are recommended?
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Have heard

:wink:

tis a shame, to be caught in last years skirt.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

I really like my snapdragon. It is looking a little rough after 3 years of heavy use. I called about getting it repaired and was told to just send it in and that snapdragon will replace the bungee and all the seamtape for free! It has fit a wide variety of boats and they will make it with the tunnel where you want, just let them know what boat it is for and how far your seatback is from the outside edge of the cockpit rim. Quality skirt and great customer service. I'll only buy snapdragon.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Skirtworks will also do it.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I just bought a skirtworks skirt and LOVE it.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Just say'n, I was also about to get a custom skirt this year but ended up getting an RI lucky charm. The design is good; rough where you need it, stretchy where it should be also, fits me perfectly where other standard skirts have failed.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

I am really good at popped skirt rolls thanks to the snapdragon bungee skirt I got with my Cascade when I bought it. I have a Mountain Surf now and no more blown skirts.
Rand
pyc1
C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

Pros/cons of a rand vs. bungee?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

depends on the maker and how they make their skirts.

With all the used boats I've purchased I have LOTS of skirts, new and old, to lend out with said boats.

Personally I only use SkirtWorks and MountainSurf these days. They stay put, and are dry.

Worth every penny.
Keep the C!
Adam
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

Skirtworks, Snapdragon, Mtn Surf and IR are all good
I have gotten custom skirts from Mtn Surf and IR and have been happy with both the Mtn surf was a bit easier to get on but a little less durable to abrasion. IR I have been happy with although some people think their quality isn't as good as others but their customer service is top notch Quick and willing to work with you and guide you. Mtn Surf customer service is good when you get a hold of them which can be tough and they can be a bit slow but still and good company.
I prefer rand skirts especially for creeking they don't pop as much and are drier. I do find that a bungee skirt is good if you have a large fleet cause they seem to fit more cockpits depending on the cockpit size and the size of the lip on the cockpit. IR has a new type of bungee I believe that is supposed to be better than past bungee's of the 4 company's mentioned I don't think you could go wrong
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

All noted are good! I have at least one of each. I go with Skirtworks now since they are local (IR is too and they are excellent as well) and they ship prior to payment to make sure its works for you. Have to have faith in someone who has faith in me. They also have done 3 custom jobs for me that were a tad outside the box and they all are 100%! My $.01!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I've had IR custom decks in the past which was excellent, and now have a Phoenix Neoprene deck which is excellent too.

Something worth considering which I've not seen mentioned is Ras-Dex, they're NZ based, but their flagship Kevlar Deck (which includes an implosion bar and auxilliary hip-release strap) goes for about $90 inc shipping, and they will custom position the tunnel for you FOC on request.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)