Introduction and OC2 Questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dfrog
c

Introduction and OC2 Questions

Post by Dfrog »

Name is Jeremiah Tomlinson from Southwest VA, I am 29 Years Old.

I am a newbie who began with the purchase of a MR Adventure 16 by myself and bro-in-law. Spent some time fishing and canoing the Clinch river then 4 nights on the New from Radford Ammo to Bluff City. Recently got our arses handed to us on the French Broad which I think is only fueling our desire to progress. But that day is a whole other story for another day. Let's just say we swam all day and almost night long.

We are looking at taking some classes next year for WFA and Swifter Rescue and have our eyes on a used Wenonah Rouge. Would like to get into WW Tripping.

I paddle stern mainly and go athleticish 260lbs @ 6'3".
Bow man is 150 @ 5'10" or so.

Looking for any help, suggestions or opinions.

Oh ya, purchased The Canoe Movie, and you guys are effin' nuts. :D
Bill M
C Guru

Dagger Dimension

Post by Bill M »

For your size it would be good. If you can find one. Probably the best big water oc2 built. It will handle your size and when tripping balance it with gear gear toward the front.
Welcome to the addiction.
Bill
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Dfrog
c

Post by Dfrog »

Yup, thats it. 8)

Whaddya think?
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Sounds like a good boat for what you want to do.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

The Rogue should do you well. If that doesn't work out, some others you might consider are a Dagger Legend 16 (now Mad River Legend 16) or an Esquif Prospecteur or Prospecteur 17.
pyc1
C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

I live near that section of the New, and the French Broad (at least Section 9, Barnard to Hot Springs) is a big step up. Glad you're still with us!

Do you know about the Creek Freaks in Franklin Co.? They probably have some good paddlers who could help with whitewater technique.

Having the skills will open up some super overnighters, like upper Clear Creek and lower Big South Fork (TN), Toccoa, Talking Rock Creek, and Chattooga sec. 2&3 (GA). From what I hear though the New will be tough to beat for fishing.
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

Hello Jeremiah.

Check out the Creek Freaks in Franklin County, yes. I haven't met one yet that I didn't like. I'm working on becoming an honorary member (I don't live there) by offering swiftwater rescue classes. So far, just a cool sticker on my car, not complaining.

Also check into the Coastal Canoeists here:

coastals.org

From there you can access an active forum.

Not the best time of year to be catching the bug but please feel invited. I'm near Harrisonburg and paddle the Maury (near Lexington) pretty much every time it comes up. Various levels of difficulty available.

Cheers,

Ken Dubel
Al Donaldson
Pain Boater

Which boat...

Post by Al Donaldson »

I'll second the recommendation of the Dagger Dimension. Much better load carrying capacity and better turning ability than the Wenonah. They're not that easy to find, but well worth the search, especially at the weights that you're talking about.

Regards,

al
Al Donaldson
1920 Belle Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA
(319) 277-3194
Dfrog
c

Post by Dfrog »

Thanks you guys.

FYI somebody got to the rouge first. Ahh, maybe find a dimension by next season. :D