Extended Canadian Wilderness Trip

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

There are many many great Canadian whitewater trips that would be loads of fun. Others might be a bit more than you bargained for. Check this Cascade River trip out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/danflath#p/ ... _46MZLMT44

cheers
dave
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

We have thousands of miles of remote trips here in the Yukon, world class paddling and scenery. We have so much variety up here. Determine the length of trip, your budget, the amount of whitewater u want, the animals you would like to see, the type of fish you want to catch, the number of people you would like to see and so on.

Let me know if you are interested in making the trip north, for many it is once in a lifetime trip.
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

We have thousands of miles of remote trips here in the Yukon, world class paddling and scenery. We have so much variety up here. Determine the length of trip, your budget, the amount of whitewater u want, the animals you would like to see, the type of fish you want to catch, the number of people you would like to see and so on.

Let me know if you are interested in making the trip north, for many it is once in a lifetime trip.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Missinaibi looks good depending on what you are looking for. One of my budies did it summer 2009 and said it was a nice trip, catched a whole lot of fishes of all kind, remote place with nice scenery. A lot of flat water and mandatory portages though, but still a good time. As for the bugs in northern ontario and quebec, the later you go in the season the better it gets. For me the very best time to paddle is either early to mid may (no bugs at all, but need nice wheather or you'll freeze your butt and make sure the rivers are at decent flow) or august to september. In june personally it is bad for the bugs at a point where I don't go for extended trips in that period; playboat time and cycling and other stuff.

to jededmon: my club is running the mistassibi NE every year sometimes twice, most of the time starting from the road access: 109km. By plane you can reach the top machisque lake, then you have 128km. 109km is doable in a 5-7 days but sometimes people takes a little more to stop for a day or two relaxing fishing etc. 10 days would include a whole day for travelling back and forth to the river and shuttle.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Oh and quoted amongst the top worthy canoeing rivers by many a canoeits, the bonaventure has some of the clearest waters on the face of earth.

A real picture btw, no tricks there.

:o
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

To help you prepare for the trip, and for an enjoyable read to boot, you should get ahold of a copy of The Complete Wilderness Paddler by James West Davidson and John Rugge. It's a classic, with all kinds of helpful info for the wilderness tripper - including dealing with blackflies. I highly recommend it! If you Google the title, you'll find a number of vendors that carry it.

John
jatakasawa
C Guru

Insane picture

Post by jatakasawa »

That picture is insane! I'm intrigued by this crystal clear Northern water. I'll have to research the Bonaventure. And I'll pick up that book, John.

This trip is something to look forward to and plan for...to occupy my mind for a while and go into with an open mind with no expectations at all when the plans become a reality.

I figure that if I can play my cards right, I'll have at least five or six such adventures before I'm too darn old anymore and so it's time to take some action. Thanks again.
Chester the Brace Monkey.
oc ender
C Guru

kootney river

Post by oc ender »

Here in Alberta,BC,we also have a wide variety of river trips.I'd have to say that one of the finest anywhere in the country would have to be the Kootney River.Up to class 3,some parts are remote,some are very close to roads but feels like the Yukon.The finest scenery with plenty of wildlife.Extended trips to 4-5 days.Excellent weather,the East Kootney's get sweltering hot so all the glacier melt adds and keeps good levels late in the season.And while you're in the area,there's some classic creeks and rivers in the area to paddle.

Highly recommended.
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Lots of great wilderness where I'm from - starting in NW Ont and getting to the East side of Lake Winnipeg. Real wilderness - get some maps, connect some watersheds, and go.

The criteria for just going down river and having vehicle access top and bottom is tricky though, so keep it mind for when you're interested in a flight and/or some upstream travel and bushwhacking. One of the better ww rivers in this area is probably the Pigeon, and there's the Berens and Bloodvein.

Many others in NW Ontario and Northern Man, Sask & Alberta. The Clearwater is one I've wanted to do.

The CCR forum is a great resource for wilderness tripping.

P.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

anyone here done the porcupine in saskatchewan? i saw it in a canadian canoe tripping mag. the traditional portages look like some awesome drops. kinda like 100 km+ of the moose.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

.. and here I thought Saskatchewan was flat
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

dflath
c

Pukaskwa River

Post by dflath »

jatakasawa, We paddled the Pukaskwa in 2006... this was a great intro to the Dog and Cascade. I have a pretty nice DVD of this trip too that I put together but never uploaded to Youtube like I did for the Dog and Cascade Rivers.

Let me know if you are interested.

Dan Flath
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Dan, I really enjoy your vids and it would be great to see another! Between you and Milkman my need for OC vids is fed quite nicely.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I would just like to second that comment. Dan's videos are some of the best out there
Chris Loomis