Southeast paddling

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

lagow8
Pain Boater

Southeast paddling

Post by lagow8 »

I am getting ready to graduate college in December and I am planning on heading down to the Southeast at some point for the winter to do some paddling.

I was wondering when the best time would be to come paddle, I mostly run class IV-V creeks on the North and South shore of Lake Superior, so cold water is a norm. I wouldn't mind doing some play boating as well.

I warn you though (to all of the snobby open boaters) I usually paddle c-1, but if a boat would be provided I can paddle open as well.

I am from Northern MN and WI so I defiantly have the Minnesota nice.

I would also need some boating partners.

Cheers,
John LaGow
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

The OB dominance is more of a forum thing than an on the river reality. Good boating man.
Rand
Last edited by Rand C1 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

I have done some wilderness tripping up there, beautiful country.
Rand
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

Yeah, we have a lot of water/ lakes up here. Not many people know about our amazing creeking (probably due to our 1-2 month season). A lot of folks paddle the 0C-2 canoes for tripping, but not many whitewater paddlers. I mostly only paddle with kayakers (the single blade is quite weird up here haha), but every once and a while I will paddle with the city folk c-boaters.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i think this is supposed to be creeking season here, but the weather has been to the contrary. i'm close to the noli for playboating and the doe and watauga to get your boof on. we've even got a guest room. which for a guy who was living in his car at this time last year, is a pretty novel concept.
pyc1
C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

The southeast season is right about now through April or May. I would probably choose March or April for longer days/warmer air temps, and Chattanooga/Knoxville/Johnson City as a base. Or WV in April/May.