Undergarments

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

On a related note- When it's cold, how do you keep all the extra insulation from bunching up behind your knees and cutting off the circulation to your feet? My boat is pretty comfy in warm weather, but this time of year, my feet go numb almost as soon as I get in the boat.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Good question, R. C. Even the combo of bunnysuit-plus-drysuit tends to bunch up.

My latest experiment is to take a pair of mid-weight fleece pants, and cut off (and hem) the legs just above the knees.

Then take the cut-off legs, and make leggings out of them. (Or else wear heavy knee-socks). The knees might get a bit chilly, but better than no circulation at all.

The other option might be to cut out big circles of material behind the knees, but leave the material in front of the knees. But then the problem of fitting into the bulkhead might still be an issue.

If none of this works, we can always paddle in Costa Rica for the winter months!

Good luck.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

Back in the wet suit days we cut circles out behind the knee to solve the bunching problem. with dry suit I use either a fleece bunny suit or pant and top. With the 2 piece you can experiment with lighter weights on the bottom. I haven't really had the problem with fleece but I make sureto keep pulled out straight behind my Knees before getting in the boat. My saddle is 9" high which probably helps.
Bill
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

RodeoClown wrote:On a related note- When it's cold, how do you keep all the extra insulation from bunching up behind your knees and cutting off the circulation to your feet? My boat is pretty comfy in warm weather, but this time of year, my feet go numb almost as soon as I get in the boat.

If I wear more than one thick layer on my legs that happens to me. so if i think one layer isn't enough I add some fleece shorts.
but, you could loosen your knee straps if you have 'em.
or raise your saddle 1/4"
Larry
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I'm about ready to cut circles out of the back side of the knees in my wetsuit...
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I find my bulkhead keeps me pretty warm so I only wear one thinner polypro layer on bottom under my drysuit and adjust the number of layers on the top according to temperature. This prevents any sort of bunching. It also means that I can get a good fit in my boat in the winter and the summer.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Pair of Carrharts, wool socks, cotton t-shirt, and a polo shirt - but that's because I've only been able to get out in mine during lunch. So far, it's worked fine - from sawing limbs to reclining in the creek up to my shoulders. I will probably go with more conventional polypro layers when I get the chance :lol: , though perhaps lighter than I've used when in 2 piece, wetter garments.
Peruvian

Post by Peruvian »

Paddling in Wales UK at the weekend, minus 4-6 degrees. Solution- Immersion Research Union Suit under drysuit - I felt like toast! Cant figure out why IR didnt put feet on the suit.
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

My undergarments are frozen. I left them in the back of the truck after yesterdays run, and I plan on weraing them within the next two hours on Duskin creek. :o

BTW they are NRS wavelites. Top and Bottom. I love em, except when theyre frozen.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

What??????????????????????????

Now, of course, MY undergarments are frozen. (And that's inside the house). But I live at 52 degrees north -- that's even further north than Winterpeg, in the beautiful, but white, province of Manitoba!!

But, in my atlas, Tennessee is only 2 inches away from Florida! How can anything be frozen that far south?????
C'est l'aviron. . . !