Jackson Hero

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Jackson Hero

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hi folks

I'm wondering if anyone has paddled a Jackson Hero conversion.

Would be grateful for your comments. How's she handle?

Please 'n Thanks!
Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

i've never seen one as a c1, probably because it it a slow boat. maybe slower than the rocker, but at least it has some edges, which the rocker does not. there are also 2 or 3 versions of the hero. definitely wouldn't be my first choice.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I've paddled the Hero and Lil'Hero as kayaks and they really really sucked, I thought. The section right in front of the cockpit is very large and uncomfortable as you're always hitting it with your hands while paddling. It was super slow and sluggish. I paddled Westwater at 30,000 CFS in the Hero and would have paid serious money for a faster boat that day. I've paddles a rocker extensively as a kayak and think it wouldn't work well as a c boat. Just too rounded and mushy methinks. Plus the plastic is fragile. Hope that helps.
nfried
c

Post by nfried »

Hey Rick,
Jackson redesigned the Hero in 2008 I believe. It now has more of a planing hull rather than a displacement hull and is a much better boat. I've only paddled it as a kayak and it is great for a larger volume river runner. The planing hull allows it to surf some, but it's not a play boat. No idea how it would paddle as a C1.

Looking for another project to kill time this winter?

Neil
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

The Heros I paddled last year were the new design. I read somewhere (prob here) that Jackson does not recommend removing the kayak seat to make it into a C1 as the seat is needed for strength.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Thank you Oops, Smurf, and Neil for the response.

I asked about the Hero because one came up, close to home, on the MEC Gear Swap.

Your comments convinced me to pass on this one. Appreciate your guidance!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

Jackson is releasing a new Hero for 2011, perhaps it will be a more suitable design. It's not supposed to be much longer, so I Imagine that it won't be any faster. Perhaps it will make a good colorado low volume creeker if your the type that wants a boat for every condition.
The line will become apparent