Maternity C1 (?!)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Emily
c

Maternity C1 (?!)

Post by Emily »

Hi all--any idea if there are such skirts available that would fit a prego belly and a C1 cockpit?! To that end, are there any ladies out there who have paddled well into their pregnancy? Tips would be well appreciated as well! :D

My thanks in advance.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Bigger skirts are out there.

Sara skied (it was winter) up until 8 months or so. After that balance and bending were a problem.

Keeping active helped her a lot, but as things progressed we did have to modify our trips a bit. Still had a blast (and lots of laughs) :).

Personally I'd say consider a ducky at some point - may be more comfortable for you, and more stable. But that's a personal decision based on you and your circumstances.

Have fun, and congrats!
Keep the C!
Adam
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I know that Beth Glazier from Landrum, SC paddled a kayak fairly late in her pregnancy. I think she would be happy to talk to you: glazier0@windstream.net
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

My first c-1 was a Hahn, and the skirt was made of Nylon with bungee closures. I'm pretty sure it would have tented over your front porch. (My daughter is now pregnant and she lets my grandson, her nephew, paint on her belly.)

A coated Nylon skirt is fairly easy to make, and will probably suffice through the rest of your pregnancy. There is no "tunnel" on such a skirt. There is one vertical seam with the seam alignment such that the upper bungee enclosure fits your body, while the lower bungee enclosure fits the cockpit rim.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

NRS has a universal fit spray skirt that has a nylon tunnel that uses velcro to adjust its size.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp? ... eptid=1763

Kyle
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

My OBGYN basically told me: stop and think about the consequences of a nasty swim.

With some of my female friends, I think there was a 50% who boated, 50% who didn't.