MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmexico!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmexico!

Post by Craig Smerda »

http://vimeo.com/18064657

Yummy!

I think next year... I'm going to try saving a week of vacation and make it down there. Every time I see footage from this region and the pictures it just looks better and better and better.

Oh... it's supposed to be a balmy -15F here tomorrow with the wind chill... which makes me want to head to the airport TODAY!!!

:D
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I'm with you Craig. While I may only be wearing a sweat shirt at the moment, Maine's comfortable paddling season is long gone. Next winter, I say a trip south of the border is necessary!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Gord
Pain Boater

Post by Gord »

Craig,

Espirit has enough L'Edges down there that you should qualify for guest paddler status.

Maybe we could talk Jim into sponsoring a week for underpriveliged, snowbound open boaters.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Having watched the video, I would be up for a week of paddling AND service.

Shep
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'll be at Esprit in Dec of 2011 on my honeymoon :) Come on down and lets drive a few L'Edges off some Mexican ledges.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Hmmmm.... I might be able to work that same arrangement... Anyone know how the surfing near Jalcomulco is? My SO is pretty "meh" on Whitewater, but quite enjoys surfing.

Shep
esprit
C Guru

Mexico

Post by esprit »

We are certainly looking forward to seeing you all down here... hopefully sooner rather than later. Our efforts to halt the dams on the Antigua depend on a strong showing from tourism... and international tourism makes a big impact.

So... the best way to help preserve this amazing watershed and save this enchanting town from economic ruin is to come paddle in Jalcomulco.

Hope to see you down here soon!

jim

PS... Shep... thanks for the offer it is appreciated!
dhumphrys
c

Go boat in Mexico...you will not regret it

Post by dhumphrys »

Hey folks,

Having just returned from Mexico before Xmas I can honestly say just do it...sign up with Esprit and go for the week. Well some folks have said in the past the Esprit holds your hand a little to much and that you should just go on your own I have to disagree. Having boated in Central and South America on my own before I can say that going with Esprit is a better deal. Now if you have plenty of time and want both an adventure on the river and an adventure traveling and getting place to place maybe on your own is better. However if time is a factor, spend it boating not traveling and book with Esprit. And here is why:

1) They know the rivers and how to get to the put ins without getting lost.

2) They have vehicles that are reliable so you are not waiting at the take out for your locally hired shuttle drive who's car is broken down or walking the road looking for lug nuts so you can put the tire back on (true story from Costa Rica...we found three of 5 so we were good to go!).

3) They have great boats already in Mexico and will ensure that you paddle a boat you are happy with and that the outfitting fits you.

4) The food is awesome.

5) They incorporate a large cultural component into your trip. You will interact and be incorporated into the community of Jalcomulco. You will eat true Mexican cuisine...both at Esprit and most likely in the house of a local family.

6) They operate in a sustainable manner and work to ensure they are supporting the community and people of Jalcomulco.

7) They have cold beer for cheap at the bar!

8.) Better then 7...they have cold beer at the take outs each day!

9) You will see rivers and places that few have seen and are breath taking and spectacular. Look for videos of the Antigua River - Barranca Grande Section. Where else can you get a rapid 60+ km long!

10) See 1 through 9!

With all that said I can not say enough for Jim and his team at Esprit. They put on a great week on some amazing rivers. Well some rivers are more straight forward then others each builds a little bit in intensity. You will always be excited and looking forward to the next day of paddling and the places you will see.

If you have questions about the week feel free to ask me. I was just there while Mike was filming Currents and I was there two winters ago as well. I be happy to give you opinions from the non Esprit employee!

Cheers and Happy New Year all.

Dave
econpaddler
Pain Boater

Re: MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmexico!

Post by econpaddler »

Craig Smerda wrote:http://vimeo.com/18064657

... which makes me want to head to the airport TODAY!!!

:D
As it turned out, I was at the airport headed for Mexico at about the same time Craig made this post. I returned yesterday, and am just now catching up on cboat threads. If you are thinking about going to Mexico for Esprit's week of rivers, I have one recommendation:

GO!

It's a perfect week's winter vacation for a cboater. The rivers are absolutely fabulous, the food is excellent, and the town is quite charming. If you are an intermediate paddler, don't be intimidated by the videos. If you are worried about crime in Mexico, you'll feel safer in Jalcamulco than you will walking around in Tellico Plains, TN. And getting there and back is really easy. I could not recommend it higher.

I'll try and post some pics and videos later, but in the meantime, if you want some information from a customer, just ask here. If you want technical information about the trip, just email or call Jim.