Jackson yaks converted to c-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Jackson yaks converted to c-1

Post by Yukon »

Just wondering what Jackson boats people have converted and how do you like them, let us know what size of person you are too.? What did u like and what did you not?
rockyboater
C Guru

Jackson Super Hero

Post by rockyboater »

I have a Jackson Super Hero. Got it at a really good price and figured it would be nice to have a bigger water/creeker c-1 boat. The bottom of the boat as a plaining hull same as the Fun, so it surfs great and edges well. The boat has more of a open boat feel due to it size(87gal).The one thing I noticed right away is that I felt like I wanted to be a little more forward. Could be its just a bigger boat? So I moved myself up as much as the skirt allows. The pockets for the knees stick out a bit more than a lot of boats and it takes a little bit to get used to paddling around them. But dose give you more room in the cockpit. As for how to outfit there's a bar that runs down the middle of the boat which makes it easy to anchor straps and the seat off of. I actually just pulled out that boat this today. Want to try a bulk head instead of straps for a quicker entry and exit. So will see how that goes..... :)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

FYI- Jackson says that the center bar AND seat are needed for strength.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Smurfwarrior wrote:FYI- Jackson says that the center bar AND seat are needed for strength.
I've herd that too. The boats seem pretty solid and i've seen a few done this way. I've been thinking of mounting a thwart of some kind in my bulk head i'm building to give some extra strength. :)
http://breatheproductions.com/jackson/m ... System.pdf
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

With fragile Jackson plastic, you want to avoid hull flex or it will fail. They break when you are cinching them onto racks... seen it. Using an internal saddle system like a Dagger saddle will really help those pressure points caused by your knees. As a min I would mount a sheet of thick plastic between your hull and the foam in the knee area. Ref your comment about the Hero, I demo'd a couple and hated them as kayaks. Very slow and pokey feeling and the width at the cockpit was annoying.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Did you paddle last years? They are a rounder boat and not going to run like a skinny boat. Like I said I'm going to put a thwart in it and a full bulk head with dense foam. It will be plenty strong. Already put this boat through its paces and had no problems. You'd have to reef pretty hard on a roof rack to crack this thing.
Last edited by rockyboater on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Its just how it goes, When I picked up my Phantom every OC1 guy I new hated it. But it worked really well for me and allowed me to push me harder than I could in my old boat. Same said for a boat like this. Works for me and gives me a little more edge where I need it. You might like it more C1. :wink:
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Their playboats are without equal (though wavesport's Project-X might get them yet) and convert well.

I wouldn't touch any of their river/creek lineup with a barge-pole.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

So many haters! :-?
NedPoff
C Boater

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks...

Post by NedPoff »

Somebody has an opinion different from your 's and they are a hater??? Some folks like them and some don't...
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Just surprised to see the reaction to this boat. New to the site and I'm interested what people are thinking. Not trying picking a fight :D
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Some people (like me) have watched multiple Jackson's returned due to cracks that other boats wouldn't have gotten. Its a known fact, sorry to have to not agree with you. My Rocker sucked, and I liked my Eskimo Salto MUCH better because of the quality of plastic. Best of luck with you CRACKson. :)
rockyboater
C Guru

Post by rockyboater »

Ha! Crackson...To good of a deal to pass on. Boof it till it breaks then. :) Where do you see the cracks form?
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

The cracks I've seen mostly are in the chine area just forward of the seat, hence the suggestion earlier to use something that spreads out the weight your knees will put on the hull. Good luck with it!