Remix question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jededmon
Pain Boater

Remix question

Post by jededmon »

I've been thinking about converting a remix.... I'm 155lbs. Anyone have any thoughts on the 79 vs the 69 for my weight? Thanks

Jeff
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Jeff,

I'm around the same weight and got rid of my 69 as it was too floaty! 79 would be MASSIVE on you!

Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey Jeff

I'm an old OC-1er, who has recently decided to take up C-1ing.

I'm around 160#, and bought a converted Remix 79. Yes, it's way floaty, but as a noob used to an 11' Ocoee, I enjoyed it as a 'beginner boat' - a good transition to something better suited to my size.

It's been a great confidence builder, and super-solid in big pushy water. It's not a playboat! Now that I've built up some confidence, I'm looking for something smaller.

A buddy, on the other hand, coming from kayaking to C-1ing did the opposite -- being used to little kayaks, he converted a Small Burn to C-1. He's now shopping for something bigger.

(We're going to meet somewhere in the middle!)

Bottom line, I guess, is 'what's your previous experience and level of skill, and what kind of use are you going to put it to?' And -- if possible -- TRY before you BUY!

Many of the comments on this forum suggest looking at the recommended weight chart for kayak use, then choosing one size higher for C-1ing. Nothing's engraved in stone, methinks!

Good luck, and post when you have compiled some experience based on your choice. I'd be interested to hear your conclusions.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I am 165lbs and has the 69. Always wondered about how the 79 would handle for me. But I love my boat. Floats me well for sure, not too much though for me liking. I also had the boat as my first C1 creek/river runner and like it.

If you look at the specs the 79 isn't much longer. More volume and a whole inch wider, so my guess is it would be a bit slower and more stable. My knees doesn't like so much the 6.5inches saddle I had to go down with for the 69 that's why I always wondered about the other size but oh well... wish we could all try as many boats as we could before to buy but lifa is though on C1ers. :-?
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

A friend and I converted Remixes - I'm about 220# and went w/ the 79, Josh is about your size and went w/the 69. I think we picked well. Unless you reallllly think you need a lot of extra volume (and a heavier boat) - i'd really think the 69 big enough.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I agree with all... I am about 185 lbs. and I paddle a 79, and while I wouldn't consider a 69 for myself, the remix has an advantage of added length, so it looks like a 69 would be perfect. The length I think gives you extra glide and punch, which I think makes for a good C1.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

You are comfortably in the bottom third of the kayaker weight range of the 69 - 130#-240#. A common suggestion is to go "one size up" on conversions. I don't think that is necessary with this weight range (or the considerable overlap in the models...). Heck the next down says 110-200# and the next size up says 180-280#!
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Kelvin wrote:Jeff,

I'm around the same weight and got rid of my 69 as it was too floaty! 79 would be MASSIVE on you!

Kelvin.
How is it that you can handle 160ish gallons of OC1 just fine, but a 69 gallon kaynoe is too big?
I've always found bigger to be better in canoeing... Though I guess I'm big enough to just about fit most large sizes adequately.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

I have 138 pounds and am completely happy with the 69. Not to big at all.

imagine
shanebenedict
c

Post by shanebenedict »

I agree the 69 should be ideal as a C-1 for you.
Shane
C-Dawg
c

Remix 69

Post by C-Dawg »

I am 185 lbs, 6' 1" and paddle the 69, the 79 would be too big for me. I would like a more of a flat hull maybe like a Mystic. I had a WS Z which was stable but slow. I like the upfront volume of the Remix, turns well but I don't paddle enough anymore to handle the displacement like hull. Still miss my cuda max from the 80's.
C-ing is believing!
jededmon
Pain Boater

Post by jededmon »

Thank you for all the input.... looks like I may be in the market for the 69 shortly.

Jeff
coloradopaddler
C Guru

Post by coloradopaddler »

contrary to most of the other posts, i am very happy with my remix 79, and i weight about 170 lbs. i bought it from a kayaker that was certainly lighter than me. i bought mine to be a creeker and bob like a cork! here is a link to a few pics of me in mine.
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/memb ... ms179.html
i guess it is all in what you want from the boat. i think the 79 is a very stable, very easy to roll, decent tracking, fast, good boat! i have a play boat, this is a bouyant fast hull. not trying to persuade your decision just trying to provide my personal perspective.
In a canoe you don't just float down a river: you're part of it- a silent water creature responsive to every surge and flex of current, gliding like a fingertip over a naked green body. "The River Why" David James Duncan
NedPoff
C Boater

I am 165 and have paddled my son's 59 and it worked...

Post by NedPoff »

quite well. that said, I had a 69 hull given to me and have it set up. If you are ever in the DC area, I'd be glad to let you try them out. I think you are going to find the 79 to be quite massive for you, but try one if you can.
Ned