Pyranha Burn as a C1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

c1w
c

Pyranha Burn as a C1?

Post by c1w »

I need a C1 with a little more volume to use as a creek boat and for bigger water. I'm 5'7" and 150lb... currently paddling a Wavesport EZ converted to a C1 (47 gallons). When I paddled it as a kayak it handled like a river runner, but with the leverage I get on my knees, it handles like a more play boat.

I have a friend selling a 2008 Pyranha Burn in great shape. It has connect 30 outfitting which I assume I will mostly rip out. I think the medium is close to 70 gallons?

Any Burn conversions out there? Any thoughts? Advice? I think the 2008 model is before the "updated" Burn that everyone seems to like better... ? I'm sure there's some reviews on the board but a few quick searches couldn't find them (ya'll use the word "burn" in lots of other contexts) so forgive me if I'm reposting.

Maybe I could be stylin' in my new Burn C1 by ALF! :wink:

Thanks for the help!!! ~ Laura
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Yes, the Burn is largely considered a good conversion boat. I've paddled one and enjoyed it. I had a much better test run of a Pyranha Everest and loved the boat as well. Its known for being edgier than the more displacement hulled boats like the Jefe. The edginess leads to responsiveness and sharp eddy turns and peel outs, but perhaps a little slower to get up to speed and a little less "drive".

I think you'll be quite pleased. Some who have found the edginess too much, have taken a rasper or sand paper to the sharp edge and taken it down a little.
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

The 2008 Burn is still a quality boat, the new model has some tweaks and updates, but the 2008 is still a world class boat. I've never C-1'd one before, but as my creek kayak, it's a great boat. I think that you'd fit well in a Medium.
The line will become apparent
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I converted a like new condition H3:255 last year and really like the boat. Thanks to the Cboaters that I spoke with about the conversion. The key for me to switch from OC1 to C1 was being able to have a 7 1/4" saddle. I know it is a little high, but my old tele knees needed it and boat feels good.

I let several of my OC buddies paddle it and 3 of them bought new 2010 Burns in the large size at the end of last season. No more picking the dry lines, dumping water, and Royalex problems for us. :lol:

You have a small boat now, but I would think a large would be better then a medium to have the extra volume. The 2010 large Burn has more volume, especially up front then my H3:255, which I wish I had, but the H3:255 has more cockpit room width wise and it is higher in the back of the cockpit with less drop from the front to the back of cockpit.

I have heard nothing but good things from people that paddle Burns. I have a friend that outfitted a Nomad (not sure of the year) and it seems like the Burn had much thicker plastic.

I would be interested in converting an Everest too, if I could find a good used one.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I've paddled the burns from pretty much the day they were released. H3 255 before that.
Great boat(s). At 150 i think you're on the border line for a medium or large. I think either one will work, but if you do overnighters, a large would be a little better.
Larry
c1w
c

Post by c1w »

Thanks for all the help, I feel better about this already.

I borrowed an H2:255 C1 at one point and loved it.
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

AJ wrote:No more picking the dry lines, dumping water, and Royalex problems for us. :lol:
That sounds like a FUN day on the water!!!!
Gord
Pain Boater

Post by Gord »

Speaking of C1 Burns...

Would a large Burn work for a 215lb'er as a C1?
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Gord wrote:Speaking of C1 Burns...

Would a large Burn work for a 215lb'er as a C1?
prob, but the Everest is basically a larger Burn.

I think there was one outfitted as a c1, for sale on this board
Proud Yankee
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i'd be tempted to sell or trade mine. it's a large, with straps & bulkhead outfitting.
Joe
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

the burn is recommendable, really

it makes a good C1 - not the fastest boat in the world, but it is forgiving yet precisely responsive to those who have a good technique. I choose the Burn cause you can control it via the chines and because it has what it takes for technical creeks and big water alike. It's just, you should know what chines are there for, some people don't like the burn because of that

I'm having a small 2006 Burn and I'm totally in love with it. I'm 121 lbs, but the friend I got it from is about 158 and using it as a creekboat for the harder stuff, so the M should be perfect if you want BIG volume

a weapon of choice for a C1, if you ask me
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle