Tendinitis

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I'm 41 and take four 200mg four times daily for elbow and wrist issues.. seems to keep it tolerable but I do realize when I miss a few doses. For my elbow issue, I was shown a stretching move by a PT where you hold your arm straight out in front of you, palm down and you try to point your fingers at your elbow to stretch. If you can do that well, then make a fist and do same motion THEN rotate the hand to the outside. That also helps, that and whiskey.
jatakasawa
C Guru

Post by jatakasawa »

I've tried some of the stretches and they feel great. I also learned that the reason tendons heal slowly is because they don't get a lot of blood flow. Blood being the carrier of oxygen and nutrients, I thought that if I can get my heart rate jacked for 30 minutes a day, that should help pump blood into them. So I'm going to try some cardio over next few days.

So, the cardio should help increase blood flow thus increasing healing time. With ice, cardio, stretches, wraps and ibuprophen I should be able to get this thing under control by the time ALF rolls around. 8)
Chester the Brace Monkey.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

not sure what kind of construction you do, but I use some padded palm work gloves when using impact type tools, nail guns, hammer drills, powder actuated fasteners, etc. It helps some. And loosen that death grip on the paddle too.
pyc1
C Boater

Post by pyc1 »

May not be relevant, but many years ago developed a wrist problem that I thought was tendinitis. Rested/iced it for weeks (in the heart of the season) with no improvement. Then decided to try some wrist curls with light weight. Worked great- turned out my wrist was just weak.

Also if you paddle with a large blade try a smaller one. In my experience large-bladed paddles put too much stress on the wrist/elbow/shoulder.

And focus on technique, i.e. planting the paddle then moving the boat forward with your hips/knees. You can also do this with near-straight arms (elbows locked) which might help. Hard to do for playboating though.
golder
CBoats Addict

Post by golder »

i didn't have time to read everyone's replies, so pardon me if this is a repeat....

ACUPUNCTURE

i had really good luck w/ acupuncture for tendinitis in my forearm a few years back. waaaaay less invasive than western/surgical treatments (which may or may not work), cheaper too.

i'd give it a shot first.

good luck. i hope you heal up quick.
ain't nothin but water, rocks, and gravity
Jim
C Guru

More on this

Post by Jim »

Lots of good information here. I am a physical therapist and have some additional thoughts, but first recognize that I do NOT work with these types of problems. If you are in an intensive care unit with a traumatic brain injury or cardiac disease, I am the guy to see. Tendinitis- go see someone who treats that (which I have not done for over 2 decades). Having established my incompetence in this domain, things to consider:

Tendinitis develops when we place greater tension forces on the tendon than it can tolerate. That is why it is important to have a year-round training program. We all recognize that muscles get larger and stronger with work and so do tendons. If you do not have a training program you must “ease into” your paddling season to allow the tendons to accommodate to the increased stresses.

Tendinitis usually develops due to microscopic trauma to the tendons. Tendinitis is an inflammatory response, and inflammation develops because it is the first phase for healing. In most cases if we rest, and then gradually increase the workload, we can avoid aggravating it.

Tendinosis is when the tendinitis converts to a chronic problem. Now the integrity of the tendon is at risk. There are many interventions that may work and most of these are directed at re-starting the healing process. In addition to those strategies already described I add massage (not the comfortable one, but something called transverse or friction massage, and it hurts) and exercise that MODERATELY loads the tendon. The trick will be a graded and gradual return to full challenges to the tendon, because with tendinosis the tendon structure is weaker. It has the capacity to improve; the challenge is loading the tendon so that it strengthens (just like a muscle will do with exercise) but not overloading it. How do you know you overloaded it? You cannot know until you have already over-done it and that hurts, indicating additional microscopic damage to the tendon.

Summary- use some of the strategies that have been described to facilitate a healing response in the tendon(s) and GRADUALLY increase the demands placed on the tendon. I rarely make it through a year without creating some type of tendinitis, but management is important. For example, I train with a paddle that flexes a lot and save my Mitchell Premier for when I need it; I pay attention to a relaxed (not death) grip on my paddle; and I strive for an upright posture (that is related to a looong explanation on some evolving theories about muscle activation and quiescence).

Finally- when you go for treatment expect to see improvements in 2 weeks. Not healed, but there should be improvements. If not, go somewhere else for your treatment. The body has the capacity to heal and all of us health care providers look good if we treat you long enough. With a problem such as this there should be improvement (not cure) within 2 weeks. If there is not we either have the wrong diagnosis or the wrong treatment.

Good luck.
Jim
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Just some additional information. For the ladies only!

I have on-off wrist tendinitis issues, and at least for me, what my hormones are doing greatly affected-aggravated the condition. I'd be fine for three weeks, wake up with them throbbing and wondering what the ***I did to set them off. Took a while, but finally figured it out. Unfortunately both my doctor and PT person were very skeptical about the relationship.

And ditto regarding the advice if you're not getting better within two weeks go find yourself a new PT!!

I also tried the acupuncture route, and I think it worked to a certain point. But I feel that it is a good option to those who are open-minded.