Blackfly Option and Ion review

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

tokebelokee
C Guru

Post by tokebelokee »

Any video of the boats on the water, particularly the short one?
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

No video of the little guy yet, and the only video I have of the Option is stern mounted gopro footage- there's some posted on the facebook page (you can see it even if you're not a facebook type). http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 8&comments

As far as a demo at the Tohickon, I'll probably keep the demo boat down at ALF that weekend. Realize that the first run will only be 10 or so of each boat, so having multiple demo boats doesn't make sense at this point. If you were looking to take delivery of a boat, I'm sure I could work something out. :D
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i'll have one at the toh release, anybody looking to demo it is welcome to. just ask!

by then i should have enough time in it to give a preliminary review, and hopefully some video too. gonna be a great ALF.
Joe
fez
CBoats Addict

Post by fez »

at least it works well as a sleigh :D
imagine
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

and Mark, since Ill prob be out of commission for Toh you could take over my L'edge then test'em out side by side.
Proud Yankee
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Which one are you buying for us Joe? The Option of Ion? I'm super stoked!

I don't know how Jeremy's boats will do in the non-official, unannounced, unorganized, non-race Tohickon downriver "speed test" (not scheduled for March 19th at 3pm) but if they're dry enough to skip at least one stop to bail, you might be able to edge out Takasawa this spring!
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

It will be a tough call to leave my first ALF for the Toh but if I do my Outrage will "not be part of the non race on the 19th".
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

markzak-i'm gettin an option...and this one's comin with a "ginger surprise" :o

can't wait :D

and as for the non-sanctioned non-race downriver speed test/pbr pound/safetybreak...you know i'll be there! comin for YOU takasawa! watch your back!
Joe
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Where can I view some photos of the boats?
Doesn't exactly sound like my cup o tea but I'm certainly all for new designs and boat companies.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Lengthy wrote:Where can I view some photos of the boats?
Doesn't exactly sound like my cup o tea but I'm certainly all for new designs and boat companies.

http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=7963913
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
jatakasawa
C Guru

Nanynanyboo...I PADDLED THE OPTION!

Post by jatakasawa »

I got a chance to paddle the Option at a pool session last night. Here is my 'review.'

Some things to keep in mind: I'm 2.5 years into boating. I'm 5' 9" (and a half) and 170 lbs. I've only owned an ME, a Nitro and now a C1 although I've jumped into lots of lots of canoes on river trips.

First off....the Option is ridiculously stable and yet light on it's feet response-wise. There is no 'no-mans' land between the primary and secondary....it just steadily heels over. When I first saw it, I thought it looked too wide to have a good cross stroke but I was mistaken.

To me it felt fast...but I've been paddling a Nitro for the past year so a brick feels pretty fast to me. But I wouldn't say the boat is slow at all.

The third thing was the fact that there was about 4.5 inches of water in it at the saddle when I rolled. With the bags and outfitting, there really isn't much room for water. You know how some boats sway back and forth with the momentum of that water...well, the Option paddled very well wet and Jeremy noted that he designed the boat that way because...uh...it's an open boat! The Option maintained it's quickness with the water as well. Two strokes had me on my way.

Obviously whitewater is the real testing grounds for the boat as I can't speak on it's dryness or handling under 'oh crap' conditions...but I have a feeling the boat is gonna be super-bomber.

Ginger Clause---You may win by default this year at the Toh as I will be in Virginia Beach that weekend...but you can never be satisfied with a victory like that!!!!!!!!
Chester the Brace Monkey.
agrestal
C Guru

Post by agrestal »

Thanks for posting the reviews - keep 'em comin'!! (At least until I get to do some demoing)
canoera hasta la muerte
www.CostaRicaRios.com
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

I was also at tbe pool session with a few additional tidbits.

Take these remarks with a grain of salt because I'm a newbie to OC1 although I have been kayaking, squirt boating, and striding for 17 years.

I was able to change the angle from flat to the gunwales in the water and every point in between with no twitchiness at all and without ever touching the water with my paddle. It accelerated quickly but was not exceptionally fast (about as fast as my pure). It also responded well to direction changes. I weigh between 190-195 lbs and it seemed to float me well. The Option may be one of those boats that a brand new person will jump into and feel comfortable almost immediately. I can't wait to try it out on moving water at ALF. :lol:
bigspencer07
Pain Boater

Post by bigspencer07 »

Alden...or anyone,
Any guess at to what material and comparative weight we could expect the Ion to come out in? Just wonderin'. Something that size does have a place in May up in strange places...in spring melt up here.. :lol: , but L'Edge's PE seems so right.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

It'll be PE. I should have the weight dialed in a week or so, but I'm thinking it'll be around 45lbs oufitted.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com