Gaia Airbags

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Gaia Airbags

Post by Cheeks »

I'm picking up new bags for my Viper 11 ahead of Cheatfest, and I'm leaning towards the Gaia Nylon ones. As far as I understood the website, they come with a lifetime warranty.

Anybody have any reason for not picking up a set? Also, which size is best for a Viper 11?

Thanks in advance
Chris Loomis
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

60" is my memory. My back bag was a little smaller than the front, but could have been bigger to fill volume, is my memory.

Good info here: http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... 92235f92e8

I like the "cage" style airbag retainers. Might be worth looking into how to rig that. Seems like it allows the bag to inflate to the size of the boat better rather than the ends pooching out.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Yeah, I'm going to be doing cage style. I'm riveting in the cage, and I'm going to run the cord across every eight inches from the deck plate the saddle/front of the knee pads.

This is what the outfitting looks like so far. I'm waiting to put in ankle blocks until after a trip or two, to see where I need the most support.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zezuGuY_l7g/T ... G_5206.JPG
Chris Loomis
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

60" bags are correct. But I feel 8" spaces between cord is too much. My boats are all set up with cord every 4", threaded through small holes drilled in the hull just below the gunnels. Then a couple cords run longways woven through the others.
Joe
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Im with Gumpy on this one, I also prefer a cage with about 4" separation from cord running across and online with the axis of the boat.
Brewbeer
C Boater

Post by Brewbeer »

If you run the bag cage lacing in a zig-zag pattern (instead of perpendicular with the long axis of the boat), that reduces the distance and separation between the cord strands and should be more secure.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

Hmm, this is why I have CBoats. I think I'll go to 4 or 5" intervals then.
Chris Loomis
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

We use the fout inch spacing on all of out factory boats now (and for the last couple of years. I feel it holds the bags better.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker