High-Brace offside Recovery (or the elusive righting pry?)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sickboyuk
C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

Fantastic cross deck brace on this video at 1:15, proper job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgYX4EXw ... re=related
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

looked more like an offside forward stroke to me, which in my opinion is a better choice than an offside low brace. But good example and thanks for posting.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I agree about the move at 1:15 - looks like a cross forward (which worked). What about the move at :04? That looked like the back of the blade, maybe?
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

sbroam wrote:I agree about the move at 1:15 - looks like a cross forward (which worked). What about the move at :04? That looked like the back of the blade, maybe?
Yeah, the very first move by jim in the video looks exactly like the offside low brace... wow. I saw kent ford mentionning it in the c1 challenge "works on your offside too!" but I thought there's no way that would ever work in a real situation... here jim coffey seems to throw it, even in an open boat with that high gunnel in the way that's awesome. Not sure if it's back of paddle or power face, if power face maybe you'll rather call it an offside (much exagerated on the catch) forward stroke, but whatever; that's showing a pretty skilled stroke for sure... Thumbs up!

Cool runs too for sure...
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Expanded Video of the first brace
Obviously done on the back of the paddle face.
Bob P
Sickboyuk
C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

Not sure I've the trunk rotation to pull that off, maybe a drop of panic would get the extra twist :wink:
pmp
CBoats Addict

righting pry

Post by pmp »

Hey, great discussion. Righting pry works and it is the subject of an upcoming paddle pointer. video proof is shot, just gotta edit it.
-yes it takes a while before it becomes instinct... and yeah we cheat with a bit of a tilt to our onside often.
paul
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

the righting pry works for sure! pulled one off the other day, in a kayak instructors course nonetheless... :lol: ... The facial expression of the instructor trainers was priceless... :lol:

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Acosi151
Pain Boater

Post by Acosi151 »

Bob P wrote:Expanded Video of the first brace
Obviously done on the back of the paddle face.
RIGHT ON
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

here is some offside low bracing in the form of a roll - makes it looks so daggum easy I might even try again :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ8az05ZXqY

hand rolls, too...
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Yeah, but can a woman do it? With no PFD to impart buoyancy? In a Dagger Ocoee? Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96XdLCirUPY&NR=1
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

This has been a fascinating discussion. I would love to see more examples (video) of off-side braces.

about the righting pry: is THIS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgNnrfMguco what you're talking about? It is a little hard for me to imagine this working any better than a highbrace/airbrace. Is there any issue with the paddle getting all tangled up with the side of the boat? And does it still work at the point that your boat is tilted so severely that you are in danger of flipping in the first place? (gunwale 2' out of the water at that point)

I would love to see a successful execution of this move in whitewater. I don't think I have been exposed to this stroke.
If anyone comes across video please link it here.

--Z
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Here's one big save:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtEibYAocI

Never worked so well for me though.

On a side-surf like this you may have a bit more time to set up and execute it, in a downriver situation where normal reflex leads me to air brace it seems really hard to think I would ever nail it.

Even it the video above, dude is low bracing the green upstream and then righting pry'n... You're much better off offside bracing the white stuff surfing on your offside IMHO.
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

that looked like an air brace to me :)
Larry
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

I remember this moment from a couple of years ago... I remember thinking just after, "Huh, there was that automatic righting pry"

It doesn't happen often, and doesn't seem to be a conscious decision. It seems I may have practiced it a looooong time ago but more likely it's some sort of reflexive situation from alot of surfing?

I also love this picture of Rayfield... ha! ---

JD