Paddle Length Preference

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bkebs
Pain Boater

Paddle Length Preference

Post by bkebs »

Ok, I am sure this has been hashed out, but my search turned up 1395 matches and none of them had anything to do with paddle length.

I use 50 or 51 inch bent shaft for flat water and a 54straight for recreational paddling. But, I am new to Whitewater Canoeing. I bought an Outrage from creek1r, and I have been using a 56inch BB Expedition Plus as it seemed to be the best ww paddle I own.

I am roughly 5'7" and 190 to 200 pounds with a 30 inch inseam. Basically short wide.

So this is a 2 part question. 1 what length would you recommend I look to try?

2 Simply out of curiosity, what length do you use.
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

Most people seem to like paddles in the 54"-60" range.

At 5'11" I don't notice the difference between a 56" and a 58", but a 54" feels too small, and a 60" is definitely too large for me.

Kyle
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

This is how someone told me to figure it out. When you sit in your boat on your saddle, the T grip should come to the top of your forhead while the blade is fully submerged. add or subtract an inch for personal taste. Seems to work for me. You can do it on dry land by sitting in the boat and inverting the paddle. T grip on the ground, throat at the top of your forhead. I'm 6'0'' 190lbs. My boat has a 8'' saddle. I use a 57.5" wood Mitchell with a curved blade.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

there is no right or wrong. whatever feel good is fine, and that will probably change from time to time so keep your old paddles. I've been "into" longer paddles and then shorter paddles and back again... I'm at 56 now, I think :wink:
Larry
Lappie
C Guru

Post by Lappie »

I use 56/57 inches paddles, I'm 6'2". My werner Bandit, is 57" with a shaft of 37 1/2... My ZRE bent shaft, is 51 1/2 with a shaft of 33 3/4...

For my racing marathon bent shaft, I masure them like so, sitting on a chaire, I mesure frome the top of the chaire(inbetween my legs) to the about the tip of my nose(some go to the top lip of there mouth) and had the lenght of the blade and that give me the total lenght of the paddle.

For my WW paddle looks like i go to the top of my head...

A shorter paddle, allow you a higher stroke rate, and i find it easier on the shouldrs!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

For your height, I think your 56" paddle can't be far off. I suggest you keep using it, but borrow ww paddles from others in case you find that a longer or shorter paddle seems better. I doubt that you're going to go shorter.....
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

A cheap way to try out different lengths is to snag a paddle from the yard sale of a commercial raft. On some of the more popular rivers, there are tons of abandoned paddles floating about, and you can cut them to whatever size you want to try.
Chris Loomis
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'll chime in with a vote for shorter. I'm a little taller (same inseam, though) and paddle with sticks about 54" - easy cross strokes, maybe a higher stroke rate, possibly easier on the shoulders, etc, at any rate I'm used to it and like it.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I'm 6'3" and use between 52" and 58" paddles for various things*; my workday paddle and my split paddle are both around 54-55"; I'd encourage you to try shorter paddles, as a long blade can trip you up far more easily.

*(Short one for squirtboating on flatwater; two normal length paddles for everything; Long one for OC1 in deep water, slalom and WWR)
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Paddle Length Preference

Post by eddyhops »

I must be a freak, I'm just over 6' & I like 59"-60" for open boat whitewater.
JD
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Paddle Length Preference

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

eddyhops wrote:I must be a freak, I like 59"-60" for open boat whitewater.
Well how deep is the water at your usual paddling destinations?
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Sadly I lost my 57" paddle, which somehow feels sooo much better than my 56" paddle, on epic paddling mentioned in other thread (I am 5'11")

Shep
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

I'm with EddyHops, I like a longer paddle, but its all about what you like.

I use a:
54" for C1 playboating
56-58" for creeking, although I have also used a 60" for creeking. Prefer the 58"
59" (150cm) for slalom

For cruising in my 16 foot Mad River ME, I use a 62"
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Im 6' and use a 60" for deapwater and 57 for creeking and E.L.F. runs.

usually have one as the back up on my deck, so can swap.
Last edited by TonyB on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Yankee
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

TonyB wrote:Im 6' and use a 60" for deapwater and 67 for creeking and E.L.F. runs.

usually have one as the back up on my deck, so can swap.
WOW!

I'm assuming there's a six where there shouldn't be??
JD