Where is the OC Olympic event?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Remoteproductions
Pain Boater

Where is the OC Olympic event?

Post by Remoteproductions »

I've wondered this for years, but never thought to ask. Now I see that there is a SUP team happening. Does anyone know if there ever was an open boat Olympic event, why there is no push for one now etc.? I work with many ski/snowboard Olympic events and know that there are tons of politics involved. Thanks.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

There's already a flatwater event.

Personally, I hope that open canoe slalom never achieves Olympic status. IMHO, the elevation of closed boat slalom has taken a lot of the fun and camaraderie out of the sport.
Bob P
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

It's never going to happen, Mainly because there are nearly no true athletes in OC'ing and certainly not enough skilled people in different countries to make a quorum for an event.

Plus, the decked boat community holds all the cards WRT the olympics, and they think of OC as variously: silly, mad, dying or fringe... Certainly not seriously.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Bob P wrote:There's already a flatwater event.

Personally, I hope that open canoe slalom never achieves Olympic status. IMHO, the elevation of closed boat slalom has taken a lot of the fun and camaraderie out of the sport.
I can't agree more with Bob on this. If I remember correctly, most of the rules that changed the sport of slalom were because of the influence the Olympics had in its inclusion as a "real" sport (overall time for place instead of the fastest individual run, reduction in penalty time for gate touch, etc.). :-?

I remember the politics the triathlon had to go through in order to eventually be considered (international distance race being relabeled at olympic distance even though it took over a decade for it to be added). I would think whitewater slalom open boating would be better to stay at the level it is. the Olympic title does not increase the number of participants in a sport.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

The Olympics not only do not increase participation in a sport, they destroy it.

Decked boat slalom is now for national team members and small children, or at least those under 18: all others, please stay home, but BTW send money to help pay the salaries of the national office. C-2 is nearly dead, and C-1 will follow as kayaks will eventually take the entire (5 minutes of fame) time-slot available. (Remember "Rapid River Racing" a few years ago?? Kayaks only, in fact, I think it was even male kayakers. ) Look at any "minor" sport hanging for its existence by its "Olympic" fingernails and you will see the same phenomenon. These sports care nothing about participation, only about the salaries of the "national ruling body".

The Olympics are about money/advertising/TV. Period. Be glad if you escape their notice.
C-1's are the Gods of the River
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

icyone-
C-2 is nearly dead-yes, because of the difficulty to train with someone like that for a long period of time. try it, it's not the sports fault, we all end up fighting. and actually we have our best C2 in a long time at the moment. Tad Dennis was 15th last year at Brats, and Benn was up in the top 5 i believe in 2009, so it's actually on an upswing from the early 2000's, as far as competitiveness world wide. The O's do funny things to sports, and It's funny to have SUP in them now. I am an SUP/kayak instructor at the moment, and for a canoe athlete, it's the easiest thing in the world, and actually before you knock it, google Danny Ching, he's a legitimate paddler in the Outrigger realm. The athletes of "these sports" care about these sports, and get on our NGB to do their best to get us where we need to be. it's not nearly as simple as your'e suggesting.
I'm sorry that your views of the games are so tainted. There are different feelings about them from the country NGB's, to the athletes, to the fans. But Athletes sure don't get money, hardly get advertised, and get clips of runs shown.
cheers
-ids
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.