Open Boating in Missoula MT

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sganarelle
Pain Boater

Open Boating in Missoula MT

Post by sganarelle »

I am going to visit a friend in August. Shoudl I drive from Richmond va to Missoula with my boat? Is the paddling worth it?

Is there a local paddling community website?
Alan S
C Boater

Post by Alan S »

Most of the local rivers are spring runoff but the Alberton Gorge of the Clark Fork, 45 minutes from Missoula, is there all summer. It's a pool/drop, bigger volume (3,000-5,000 cfs in August) class 3 with fun play features. It's also a pretty run. See the photos and information at the American Whitewater site http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... 96_.mobile

There are a few other possibilities a little further away but many more options in June than August.

There's no paddling club or website but there are other open boaters. You might be able to borrow a boat. I'll be gone much of August but if I'm there when you are, I could help. You'll probably hear from a few others.

Alan
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

yes bring a boat. I grew up in Missoula, you can run a bunch in August, The Gorge will be perfect in August for an OC, and there's always the wave downtown. you can even run some small stuff on the blackfoot. there are a few folks in C1's, Brandon Salayi paddles some, Ben Schmidt used to own a canoe shop, Alan Burgmuller(unless that's you and I've forgotten your sn) lives down the valley, but there's water there, and great foiks...
-ids
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
Remoteproductions
Pain Boater

Bufalo

Post by Remoteproductions »

Hit Buffalo rapids on the Flathead. dam released coming out of Flathead lake. Then, keep going up to Glacier and paddle the 6 mile run on the middle fork of the Flathead. Class III glacial fed. Think they are still doing Wed night releases of the Wild Mile on the Swan in Big Fork too. Class IV. Oh I miss MT.