Taureau vs Fly

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sickboyuk
C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

Thanks for the input guys, I'm based in south east London (don't seem to be able to update my profile).
There's no denying that I prefer the classic(ish) shape of the 'full volume' boats, they have evolved the shape for a reason. The lack of available PE boats in this style has been a problem for years, good on Esquif, black fly and big dog for bringing some more choice to the table.
I have ruled out Royalex for my first boat (unless it's an offer you can't refuse!) due to the types of rivers I paddle with my club and obviously learning along the way.
If I can find a Prelude that I fit in to try I will, and all being well I'll contact Bob when I have a spare weekend, I don't mind doing some mileage if there's paddling to be had :wink: although Lee valley will (hopefully) open soon :cry:

Thanks again
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Sickboyuk wrote:If I can find a Prelude that I fit in to try I will, and all being well I'll contact Bob when I have a spare weekend, I don't mind doing some mileage if there's paddling to be had :wink: although Lee valley will (hopefully) open soon :cry:
If our paths are likely to be crossing (or you don't mind picking up and dropping off the boat in yorkshire), you can borrow my prelude. It'll fit anyone from about 6'6" to 5'10" ok by moving the bulkhead and it has straps if they're your thing.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Sickboyuk
C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

How could I refuse such an offer, Look forward to dropping you a line in the near future.
Anybody know if there are any Ion's or Options heading this side of the water, normally hear of such things before they arrive :P
Sickboyuk
C Boater

Post by Sickboyuk »

Just got back from Slovenia butt boating, very nice it was too :P
At one of the get outs (Prijon shop) a kindly fellow noticed me drooling over his blue Prelude with my paddling buddy and offered me a go, I was pretty knackered but he had his kit out before I spluttered my excuses (it's been a long day, shoulders are hurting, gotta load the van etc) and had it on the water quick sharp (I'd like at this point to say I thought he was German, turned out he was from Yorkshire!!). A quick wobble (ahem and swim) in the shallows and I was set free on some nice easy flowing water.
A few ferry glides and quick turns and I must say I was very impressed, not as twitchy as I had feared, was pretty stable when on edge, my only worry being the low freeboard at this angle, is this normal? I think a decent paddle on some more bumpy stuff and I'd be sold.
A friend of a friend owns a Ocoee so I'm going to give that a go asap, but in reality I'm only a step away from the wanted add....

Oh and if anybody knows who this kindly gent was please let it be known (the joys of paddling with big groups and all the rushing around it entails, Grrr :evil: ).
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Get a L'Edge.

Unless you want to do a lot of playboating too... then get the Fly