Outfitting question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

roaring-riverman
C Boater

Outfitting question

Post by roaring-riverman »

I'm helping a friend with his new L'Edge factory bulkhead saddle. I saw Craig Smerda's outfitting guide on this site and it was helpful. I like the idea of pushing pvc pipe through the saddle in three places to allow water to drain from one side to the other. I'm wondering what is the maximum diameter pipe you should use? Is three pieces the absolute max or can you get away with more? Lastly, what's the best way to file or trim the openings for your knees? Dragon skin? Should it be wrapped around some cylindrical object like a can or something?
Acosi151
Pain Boater

Post by Acosi151 »

I used steel mesh sandpaper (dragon skin), a drywall rasp and 60 grit sand paper.

The sandpaper I taped to a nalgene and a steel water bottle depending on the arc I was trying to sand. When I do it again I'll just go straigt to the 60 grit. I was wasting my time with the other stuff.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I used 2" pipe in three places. The water transfer is almost instantaneous most of the time.

As an alternative, you could take a look at what Bob Britt does for his saddles. I think it is a single large piece of down spout that is large enough to fit a pump (in case you ever want one).

Two things I would recommend would be to shave out the thigh hooks until you "just" fit and then check the trim of the boat. If the trim is off a lot, it's easier and better imo to move the saddle a little than it is to trim more and more foam.

The second is to remove the saddle before you push the pipe through. It's waayyy easier and the saddles in PE boats never stay glued for very long anyway.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

oh, and the extra 3" of foam added to the bottom/front/knee area of the bulkhead is well worth the work
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

My Taureau already has nice big channels at the bottom of the saddle. I would have assumed the L'Edge does also... :-?

Shep
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

My L'edge bulkhead has the three small PVC pipe transfer tubes, however my old Beluga bulkhead had two nice big arcs cut out of the bottom that flowed water much much better. I saw a new Prelude recently with a bulkhead without these tubes. If your boat doesn't have them I would recommend doing something

I find the rasp worked the best for fast bulk foam removal, and the 60 grit finished it off nicely.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I put a piece of 5" fence post under the saddle for water transfer and a place for the pump, a-la Bob Britt.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

DougB wrote:My L'edge bulkhead has the three small PVC pipe transfer tubes, however my old Beluga bulkhead had two nice big arcs cut out of the bottom that flowed water much much better. I saw a new Prelude recently with a bulkhead without these tubes. If your boat doesn't have them I would recommend doing something

I find the rasp worked the best for fast bulk foam removal, and the 60 grit finished it off nicely.
*** caution ***

The post/pipe helps prevent a stress riser from forming in the void... seen the result in many a boat needing to be welded in the area missing/devoid of foam. Yes - theres a riser to either side of a saddle; however not near the same as one spanning or bridging a void. Were the plastic is supported on two side.. most every thing will keep poking against the non-support span. A death sentence - in the making!
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^