Question about Viper 11 Thwart Width (UPDATE)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I was tempted to "side" with Craig here; because, I can see how you could end up modifying the rocker of a boat by modifying the width (and thus the curviture of the top outside edge); but... for a modern size of boat, I can't see how you'd make a big enough change the to affect the rocker significantly, without applying enough stress to seriously damage the boat.

But... and I address this to both sides of this argument: Pics or it didn’t happen!

By which I mean pics of a modded and un-modded boat side by side (or with a common point of reference/scale) so that we can see for ourselves.

My reason for saying that is that I have a suspcion that you can both be right at once, and that there's actually more to consider about pulling boats than we might collectively think right now. (also I like the excuse to use huge orange text)
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Larry Horne wrote:so glad I paddle a decked boat. :)
Larry, you CAN increase the rocker on a decked boat. I've done it. :D

And Joshua pretty much nailed the truth in the rocker issue (I have a suspcion that you can both be right at once, and that there's actually more to consider about pulling boats than we might collectively think right now.)

So, what is the truth to these arguments? :D

In order to increase/decrease rocker, what MUST happen? (hint: think... ...length)

What actually happens when gunwale width increases/decreases? (hint: Smerda pretty much answered that one).
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Craig Smerda wrote:[img]
you can change the flare of the sides, the depth, shear line and even the shape of the bottom and the overall length a little by pulling a canoe in at the gunnel line... but the rocker doesn't change.
Just took an old viper 11 hull, at 24" beam the height of the bow measured 17 3/4" and the opposite measured 19 7/8". Two spreader clamps at thwart locations spreading to 28" brought the bow to 19" and stern to 21 1/4"...

... explain please

:-? :-? :-?
JD
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

BTW, I do have pictures but are they really necessary???
JD
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

eddyhops wrote:BTW, I do have pictures but are they really necessary???
It would be nice, but I suppose we can trust each other here at c-boats, so it's not strictly neccsary.

Could you tell me the end to end length and the length following the gunnels* before and after you pulled the boat in.

*(the chord and arc segment lengths of the curve followed by the gunnels if my original description made little sense prefer)
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Short boats want change that much. Longer boats will change the rocker depending on the width. short roto molded boats prob want change much.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Hans Vidkjer
Pain Boater

Post by Hans Vidkjer »

This is an interesting thread. I didn't know this was an acceptable practice. Is it easy to go back and forth, or will that eventually damage a royalex hull? I could see tuning a boat to suit certain rivers - a speedier river runner one day, a more agile creeker the next. Heck, you could tune it for specific rapids! I can see it now - "hang on guys, just gimme a minute here while switch thwarts" LOL :D
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Just use one of those adjustable paddle shafts as a thwart and you can do it on the fly (so to speak) - wait, didn't Mohawk have this as an option years back?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Yep we sure did Dont know why we stopped selling them but we did.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

an idea ahead of its time...
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

You know, it wouldn't be THAT hard to set it up with a turnbuckle in the middle, so you could indeed crank it in and out as needed (like the top link of a three point hitch tractor hitch). I've seen aluminum turnbuckles too... weld the ends to make a new thwart, and away you go....

Hmm....
Keep the C!
Adam
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

I can just hear the wood gunnels cracking now... :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
plasticman
c

Mohawk adjustable thwart

Post by plasticman »

As far as I know, the adjustable thwarts were only factory installed in Challengers and Odysseys, not in whitewater boats. Don't know why. Anyways, they got discontinued probably 10 years ago, don't know why on this point either.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

A motivated individual (with more time and patience than I) could go way back and see...

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20010601 ... canoes.com

(I don't think phpBB likes that URL...)
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

So I took the thwarts in this weekend. Before the width at center was 28.5 inches, well wider than factory. I took them in to 26.5 inches.

I can't really speak to the rocker, but the boat was faster, tracked better, and flipped easier. At first I thought I had screwed the pooch because I was having trouble with the boat, eventually flipping and swimming out on a light Class III rapid. It was then that I realized that my outfitting was causing the problem, so I adjusted that for today's run.

Today was awesome, one of the best days I've ever had in a boat. I didn't flip, and probably braced two or three times over nine miles of Class II-III. I pushed the boat, hitting hard eddies with big eddy fences, surfed, side surfed, stuck it into a ledge hydraulic, and the boat really kicked some tail.

I still have to play around with the trim, but the boat is a lot better at 26.5 inches. Cross bows are easier, the chine is more defined, and the turning seemed to be about the same. The only thing I noticed was that my surfs weren't quite as good, but that might also be a testament to a) the poor surfing at these particular waves, and b) my lousy surfing ability.

Next weekend of Savage, LY and maybe some others will give me a better idea if this was the right decision.
Chris Loomis