OC2 boat history question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kerrye
c

OC2 boat history question

Post by kerrye »

I own a Mohawk Jensen WWIII . Bought it about 25 yrs ago for $50 and it is one of my favorite boats. It's great for class II river tripping. The boat was raced in the 1978 Downriver Championships on the Yough. I've never seen another Mohawk Jensen whitewater racing canoe and I'm wondering of anyone knows the history of Mohawk's building of such boats. It's a very inexpensive layup. Woven roving and a chopper gun layer over the foam floor stiffeners. I'm pretty sure it was built in 1978 since there is a 78 in the serial number. Perhaps it was just a single boat built my Mohawk for that race but that seems unlikely.
If I'm not mistaken the boat is similar or identical to a Jensen WWII High Side which was built by Wenonah for a while.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Photos - please! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
kerrye
c

Post by kerrye »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

It's the yellow boat on the left. Taken in Stillwater Canyon on the Green River in Utah.

Not the best shot but better than a picture of it stored in the garage.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

sweet! yet ANOTHER link to the facebook sign up page. :lol:
Larry
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Larry Horne wrote:sweet! yet ANOTHER link to the facebook sign up page. :lol:
Don't feel too deprived. I was going to capture the picture (for everyone) but I'm getting a "This content is currently unavailable" message myself.
Bob P
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Probably has the images set to, "friends only", or "friends of friends". See if you can set the images permission to "everyone" and maybe we can view the boat. :D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
kerrye
c

Post by kerrye »

I will try to figure out what is going on. I set the image up so it was available to everyone and not just friends so it's odd it's not coming up.
kerrye
c

Post by kerrye »

The image is there for me. I don't know what's going on. I'd simply post it here if it is possible and I knew how to do it, but I don't.
kerrye
c

Post by kerrye »

Got this reply from someone with the screen name of Old Bill on paddling.net:

"Mohawk Built the Jensen WW in 78 although they may have been making the WW2 by then because I saw Wenonah WW2's at that race on the Yough. They built the WW,WW2 and WW3 and the C1WW. The WW was a marathon hull with higher sides it was fast with the right drivers but ran a little wet and took much skill to turn. The WW2 was fast ran drier and was easier to turn. Not sure about the WW3 but Wenonah call their third revision the WWX and it was blunter in the bow then the other 2. I had a Wenonah WW back in the mid-late 70's as I said it needed skilled drivers in bigger WW so mine was highly battle scarred by the time I retired it but it was one fine tripping boat in flat water. If I could see a picture I may be able to ID."