Would there be any interest in this as a Millbrook Boat?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Would you buy a Composite Stinkeye?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:00 am

Yes possibly
70%
Most likely not
22%
I like plastic boats
9%

Total votes: 23

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

what's the warranty? :lol:

Eye think it's great... and eye love the name. :wink:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
MrTgrips
CBoats Addict

Post by MrTgrips »

I think it's a great idea Mike! I think there'd be more than a few sold. I had a blast in the day I took it down the North Branch of the Potomac. Super playful, spins on a wave, catches eddys...... what more could you ask for? Oh yeah, KEVLAR! ;)
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

A composite would be nice for those who don't care to hump up out of a take out with a load. 8)
The 3 different versions I paddle were all really fun. The X version was not as quick on the ferry (but to be honest I was in it after being in a Sith C1 all day so it might have been a hip thing on my part) but it was a better surfer (in weird fun water too). It might be the blunt nose but I was totally in control!
Overall a lot of fun and I'm hoping to get more stick time in the original for some testing on bigger water.
I love the Stink Eye name and the eye..kids love to see it on the vehicle and when it flips and rolls you yell "stink eyed"! Smiles all around!! Great boat Mikey!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

I'd buy plans to build a wood stripper version. Not really interested in a composite.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
RodS
Pain Boater

Post by RodS »

Aaron, I'm at a loss for words. What a beautiful boat! And a great archive of the process...great pics!

JKaz, sign me up for two, short one for Deb, X version for me!
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Thank You

Post by arhdc »

Thanks for the compliments but the real credit goes to Mikey, he really hit it out of the park with the design.

I'm still loving my little wood strip boat and getting good feedback from everyone that paddles it. It turns out that Tommy (FullGnarlzOC) fits perfectly into my saddle.

This is maybe a bit of a thread hijack but I thought that I would give a bit of an update on my wood strip build.

I just pulled it in for a bit of going over and maintenance. It has taken a fair bit of abuse in the past three weeks, drops onto nice sharp rocks, hitting rocks hard, scraping rocks, seal launches (easier to get in with broken toes on nice solid rock), shallow water runs, ect. I am not the type of precise, gentle paddler that generally goes for composite boats, just ask PAC. After all of that I can say that the only area that really had more than cosmetic damage was the carving rails, which are rather sharp on my boat. On the carving rails I abraded away a layer of glass in a few places and went through two layers in three places. Nothing seems to have been damaged as far down as the Kevlar layer. Because of the wood strip build there is basically no flex in the carving rails (chines) and it is, I think, much more susceptible to wear than an all composite build would be. Having said that the wear is not of major concern to me as it is easily repaired.

I just finished sanding and then applying a layer of Dynell cloth and a strip of glass tape on to the carving rails to repair the damage and hopefully give them a bit more abrasion resistance, only time will tell.

Again, sorry for the partial thread hijack.

~Aaron~