Skill level question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

johnd
C Guru

skill level question

Post by johnd »

Maybe canoeing is harder than kayaking. But I have seen some C-1s playing harder than the kayakers. I have also noticed kayakers just floating down the river, without catching any eddies, not doing much of anything.

So while the difficulty of the boat may be difficult to change ( I finished out my first season running Class 3s, so I don't know if it's that much more difficult) your can change your approach to paddling. You can learn a roll, so you're not swimming every time. That way you will have a great low brace too. You can paddle Class 2 like it's Class 3, catching every eddy and playing every wave. You can paddle Class 3 like it's Class 4. That way you maximize your practice time. You can also paddle more -- the river is the best teacher.

You can also buy a smaller boat or a decked canoe if you are paddling a monster boat like a Genesis or something that does not encourage you to push yourself.
Drew W.
Pain Boater

Post by Drew W. »

I don't know if I agree with that class-3's-take-a-long-time-to-learn bit, I was comfortable on chatooga 3.5 about 2 months into paddling, that includes oc-1 (i paddled a mohawk rodeo a bit, got my first successful run of single drop at bull sluice in it :D )
take that with a grain of salt, I had the opportunity to take a 5-weekend whitewater canoeing class with some pretty experienced instructors when I started out and the learning environment in my outdoor club is such that everyone's always pushing everyone else to do better so there's a lot of motivation to really stick with it

so far as the kayaking is easier thing, I think there might be something to that
when I was taking the canoe classes at Ga Tech, there was a lot more carnage in our classes than there was in the kayak class running at the same time (mostly on account of not having that second brace), but that aside, I was able to keep up with most of the folks in the kayak class once I got the balance thing down (and a solid roll)
however, as a result of the increased carnage associated with learning to canoe, most of us in the canoe class are a hades of a lot better at self-rescue than any of the yakkers are, so we were learning just as much as them, our learning just involved lessons outside the boat too :p
Ken D
c

Post by Ken D »

I think there are two reasons we C-Boat:
1 - We like a challenge
2 - It is more elegant

I've been C-boating for about 15 years now and still find that there is room for improvement. I guess it all comes down to what you want out of your paddling experience.

I've been told by non-paddlers that I looked pretty elegant coming down the river. I had to explain to them that I paddle a different boat than most, a C-1 not a kayak and show them the difference. So it appears that the elegance factor is even noticed by non-paddlers.

I know a former world champion C-1'er that has gone over to the dark side and I give him a lot of grief about it. One day he whispered to me, "It's so much easier". He also said that the switch from a C-1 to a Kayak is easier than from Kayak to C-1. Also the statement from a guest about John Lugbill also makes a statement.

I started slalom racing about 4 years ago in the New England Slalom Series for C-D racers and found that this really improves your skills in a non-threatening environment.

If you really enjoy C-1 then stick with it.

Remember that more time in the boat = more fun.
boater x

boatin

Post by boater x »

ken,
good paddling in Quebec last week, heard ME was fun.

Shhh! dont tell people about slalom or they we might lose our edge!

Going back for more this weekend.

boater x (aka Donnaconna surfer)
Jim
C Guru

Elegant???

Post by Jim »

Ken:

It is only more elegant for SOME. You fit in that group, and my vote for the top of that list is Mike Campbell.

However, some of us (me, guys who stick the ends of their boats under pipes during races, etc.) will never be considered elegant. hades, I am just happy to be upright.

I agree with your comments about slalom- I have been paddling for 16 years, and my time on the NESS the last couple of years has reulted in a steep learning curve. And it has been FUN.

Have a great weekend.

Jim
Ken D
c

Elegant?

Post by Ken D »

boater X: was good paddling with you in Canada. Sorry you had to balst off at lunch. At least you got to see the character of the river. We got to do Tewksbury twice that week, both times a about -.8. Good level for doing some moves in Meat Grinder.

Jim: Thanks for including me in the Elegant list. There are far more elegant paddlers out there than me. I agree with you about Mike. He is not only Elegant but can do the BIG moves. The person I miss seeing the most on the river is Bruce Lessels. I could spot him a mile away on the Dryway.

Before I starting racing I was putting in just below the race course at the Farmington in New Boston and was watching the C1's come down. After a few came across the finish line I noticed a C1 about in the middle of the course that looked real fast. I watched closely and not only was he fast but was not taking as many strokes as others that had preceeded him. After he crossed the finish line, I told him he looked fast and elegant. I later found out that it was Scott Strausbaugh. Need I say more.