ion opinions?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bob Wiggins
C Guru

ion opinions?

Post by Bob Wiggins »

anyone have any opinions on the ion for someone 5'7, 115 pounds, and still growing?
seriously looking at getting one, and i think it will be a good boat for what im doing (cl. 3-4, both rivers and creeks) that i wont grow out of- probably going to be around 6'2 and 150 lbs.
Thanks,
Bob
Wiggins
C Guru

Re: ion opinions?

Post by Wiggins »

It will probably be a decent boat for you. If you end up weighing 150 pounds you will not be too heavy for it.

I have no direct knowledge on how it handles because I know it is not the boat for me and nobody up here has bought one yet.

Kyle
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

At 5 3 1/2 and 195 pounds I find the Ion to be one big blast. Great on rivers and creeks. Put a pump in. Once I bought mine it was hard to get in my other boat this summer. It will be wetter than a L'Edge, almost as stable as a L'Edge. It fits inside many cars.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

5'9'' and 140# ... and i find the ion a blast and fun to play in ... have used Wendy's Ion on the Pigeon and found it very dry (at my weight i found it every bit as stable and dry as the option/Ledge) and Bob's Ion on the Ocoee 2 weeks ago ... it was a blast
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

5' 10" 185 or so. I can't compare it to anything, because it's like nothing I've ever been in before. It was so incredibly fun, it was just a hoot. Surfed great and man, it boofs like no other. I'm probably the worlds worst boofer (boofist?) and I hit one that landed stern first. People who haven't looked at an Ion because they think it's dorky/nontraditional/they'll get picked on/whatever need to get in one. It was that cool.
Chris Loomis
canoemid
C Guru

Post by canoemid »

Bob, sent you a PM. Come down here and hop in mine and get a feel for it and see if you like it. What a great boat...even at my non-gnar level!!
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Agreeing with everyone else...
The Ion is super fun, and I am about 6'1" and 165lbs.
Dry, nimble, boofs awesome, stable, and above all, fun!
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."