Ambitious tandem for a light team

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jon
C Guru

Re: Ambitious tandem for a light team

Post by Jon »

We moved from a Nexus to a Blast and rarely paddle the Nexus now. The Blast is slower than the Nexus (read Caption as well) but turns on a dime and has amasing secondary stability. We weigh ~310 pounds. Because of the rocker (lots) the Blast paddles dry, and if my partner looks at a drop and decides she's not paddling that, the Blast paddles like a large solo, the Nexus paddled like a small tandem. Only problem with the Blast is that it draws a lot (5"?) of water in the center of the boat cause so much is out of the water on the ends with the rocker. Friends converted an OutrageX to a tandem (their weight ~280-290 est) and they found it wet and found you didn't actually tilt it, you just thought hard about tilt. They didn't keep it very long.

I took off the decks on the ends to make it easier to empty out and played with the thwart length. Stock is best. 1" wider and it's almost impossible to paddle in a straight line, 1" narrower and it looses most of it's stability, especially with water in it.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Re: Ambitious tandem for a light team

Post by hazardharry »

wow a blackfly i could fit my arss into. 260lbs. 6'4" i paddle a classic wwracing tamdem solo. mad river ME 15'2". find one of these old babes and ride the waves.
Attachments
harry p-cat2.jpg
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'