Paddle shaft flex & circumference change

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hammerhead
C Guru

Paddle shaft flex & circumference change

Post by hammerhead »

Guys, I have a Grey Owl C-1 paddle that was my back-up before a poorly placed rock-brace took out my primary. The reason I don't prefer the Gray Owl paddle is due to the facts; shaft is VERY stiff, the shaft circumference is too large. Any tips for taking some off the "top" without a ton of hand sanding. I am just looking for a paddle to get me thru the winter until I pony up the dough to replace the Echo stick I broke. Peace...HH
NickParker
C Guru

Re: Paddle shaft flex & circumference change

Post by NickParker »

Here's a few simple ideas that will be a lot faster than hand sanding alone. Ask around to see if any of your friends or family has the tools.

Use a draw knife to shave down the shaft (maybe into an oval profile). When you're done knifing, sand with 80 grit, then go to 120. You can go finer than that if you want, but it's optional.

Use a belt sander (preferably a small lightweight one) with 80 grit to do the bulk of the shaping, then hand sand.

Use a wood rasp to do the bulk of the shaping, then hand sand.

Finish with spar varnish.
scamp144
c

Post by scamp144 »

Use a scraper , with a draw knife or belt sander you could destroy your paddle quickly if you were not very careful. You will have a lot more control and it will go fairly quickly.
Endeavor to Persevere
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Well you can destroy it if you mis-use any tool, but if you take it slow any of the suggestions will work.

What kind of break did you have on your Echo? Shaft? Blade?
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

I heard Andy's repair rates were pretty reasonable. You might not have to pony up much cash at all.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

is the shaft ...

one piece solid ?
or is it laminated ?
or could it have a hollow center ? (yes - some wood do)
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^
    eddyhops
    CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

Spokeshave

Wonderful little tool, everyone should have one
    JD
    ezwater
    C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I use a spokeshave and a low angle block plane. I've done both solid ash and laminated shafts. It's not hard, but the planes have to be properly sharpened and set for small increments.

Whether the Grey Owl gets flexible depends on construction. It's fairly easy, and safe, to shape a solid ash paddle for more flexibility. Laminated paddles can be more difficult. They are inherently stiffer, and trying to hard to get flexibility can result in fragility.

I leave the grip area and the part leading down to the blade fairly thick. I taper the shaft evenly from the grip area up to the handle.
    hammerhead
    C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

Thanks for the ideas, will be a great help. Unfortunately the break was terminal. It was repaired many times & performed great up until the end. I got 5 years out of it & the failure had nothing to do with paddle construction. Def. was caused by operator error. Would not hesitate to buy another in the future.
    hammerhead
    C Guru

Post by hammerhead »

Ok, used a drawknife/spokeshave & things worked fine. Thanks for the input. Used spar varnish & that turned out great, also. The only tiny complaint, is the grip just above the blade is slick. The Echo had a sock to help with that & abrasion/strength. I guess I'll just ruff it up some.

thanks again...
    Todhunter
    Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

hammerhead wrote:Ok, used a drawknife/spokeshave & things worked fine. Thanks for the input. Used spar varnish & that turned out great, also. The only tiny complaint, is the grip just above the blade is slick. The Echo had a sock to help with that & abrasion/strength. I guess I'll just ruff it up some.

thanks again...
    Use sex wax on the shaft for better gripping.

That sounds totally inappropriate, but the stuff works great.
    Matt Todhunter
    Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles